1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What happened to your high school friends?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mr7134, Jul 5, 2009.

1. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Well when you graduate with only 35-some kids it's kinda easy to see what's going on with the old class. Most of the girls are married with kids or just have kids. I also live 2K miles from where I grew up but oddly enough a girl lives 10 minutes from me that I was friends with in HS and we chat/see each other quite a few times.

A girl that was a few years younger than me is actually my roommate out here in Colorado. Pretty interesting.

When I do go home, which is once a year if that, I hang with friends that went to different schools but didn't meet until after HS. We all met at the local ski resort and worked/rode with each other.

Yeah, odd.

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

My class graduated in 1983 and I still hang with most of the same guys I did then.

They all live in the Toronto area - a few, like me, not far from where we lived in high school - and we keep in touch through email and try to get together a few times a year, either as a group or with all the wives and kiddies.

Have touched base with some former HS classmates on Facebook. Most of them are still in the Toronto area.

3. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

I still see my friends from high school all the time.....they're still the friends I spend the most time with. Shit....I still see people I went to kindergarten with.

We're all married with kids now.....we're the Godparents of each others children too.

4. MrBSquared

MrBSquared Member

My 30th reunion was about a month ago. Saw a lot of people I haven't seen since the 20th. But, I live 1,500 miles from "home" and most of them are still there or close to there.

My oldest friend -- guy I've known since I was 4 -- was there. We talked, remembered a lot of good times, promised to stay in touch and left.

There were doctors and lawyers and the best part was a lot of the kids who got ignored in HS went on to be very, very successful after graduation. Karma, baby.

But, honestly, if not for Facebook and the reunion, there are a lot of people I hadn't thought about in years, and probably would not have thought about. I moved on, personally and literally, and left high school with the typical regrets in insecurities. Didn't really hang with any particular group, so it really wasn't that big a deal. But, the reunion was a good excuse to go see the handful of people I really wanted to see, and to go back "home" to see my mom and sister.

5. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I see a lot of them once or twice a year and maybe a quarter of my Facebook friends are from high school. In 2002 for our 25th reunion, they had me track down those who were unaccounted for, unfound, lost for years. Got all of them, although a few were not interested in being found and we've left them alone since.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I have a high school friend who was once fired for spitting on someone's burger at Carl's JR who has worked in the White House for the last decade. It's a non-partisan job, but he has some crazy level of top secret clearance and apparently is very important. He's former military, so I'm guessing it has something to do with that.

I see his FB updates and he's in Baghdad one day, Dubai a week later, some strange place in Africa the following week... I'm in awe because, while he was always smart, he was one of those guys who would just do the dumbest shit at times.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Isn't that what a lot of people in our government do?

8. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

All the ones I hung out with are making more money than me, have nicer cars and houses, etc. Nobody I went to high school with has had their name seen by more people than me, for whatever that's worth. Which isn't much.

Two are doctors. One is a pharmacist. Whole bunch are teachers or school administrators. My best friend from hs is in charge of the estimating department for a large construction company.

As a side note, we moved to the town where I went to high school when I was seven, and I spent the entire time I was there trying to gain acceptance. I went back for my 20-year class reunion six years ago, and on that front little had changed. I have no intention of going back for another one.

9. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

The combination of relocating every other year and having the social skills of a porcupine have left most of my high school friends well in the past. Our 10-year reunion is apparently this week, but being a few thousand miles away, I'll have to settle for hearing about it through Facebook.

A fair few of them seem to have gone into creative professions. Radio DJ, reporter at a decent-sized metro paper, running a photography studio, brass caption head, ballerina, violinist, graphic designer, and one who swapped a K Street lobbying gig to run her own "creative services" business.

Oh, and an Amtrak engineer. Still not quite sure what happened to him.

10. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Haven't seen anybody, haven't gone to any reunions. I'll occasionally get an e-mail from someone who sees my stuff on the Internet or in print.

We had four or five suicides within five years of graduation, and a woman who killed her husband within 10 years of graduation.

11. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Gonna be seeing a few of them this weekend at a bachelor party.

A lawyer for a big firm in San Francisco, a guy whop works at the SF Museum of Modern Art, a bigwig at Enterprise Rent-A-Car, a guy who manages parking garages (making more than I have ever made in journalism), a contractor for the military, a dude who has been working a lucrative position in aerospace sans college degree (but with a nice boost from daddy) . . . a young lady who works in academic counseling for a major Big 12 university, a speech pathologist . . .

No current pro athletes, no major political players. But all make much more money than I have ever seen as a journalist.

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I went to a large school (2,400 for 3 grades) in a small town where the biggest celebrity was the QB, in other words not quite a bastion of striving for academic achievement (their idea of an AP course was "son go take calculus with the losers at the JC"). I did not enjoy HS that much because of that overriding sports environment, really hated it, even though I was a jock too.

I just knew that there was more to life than becoming homecoming king and queen and scoring the touchdown to beat the cross-town rivals and just wanted to get to college. Luckily, I went to a large university (UC) and had a blast my freshman year in the dorms and just never looked back because less than 10% of my classmates went to a 4 yr college after graduation. There were some successes, one of my classmates is/was one of the biggest IP lawyers in Silicon Valley, another is a multiple Oscar winner, but they were not my closest friends.

I've kept up with my college buddies more.

I loved college, HS, not so much.

Draft saved Draft deleted