1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What happened to your high school friends?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mr7134, Jul 5, 2009.

1. Mr7134

Mr7134 Member

What happened to your high school friends? Do you still see them? Have they been successes or failure in life? Are they on the right or wrong path?

You get the drift.

What happened to your high school friends?
  2. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

My closest friend from HS is in the Air Force. Another is in real estate, but just selling little suburban houses -- not Donald Trump-like. One is a teacher. Nothing really noteworthy.
  3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I didn't have any. Literally. Not in the "oh, I wasn't popular" sense that most people like to talk about.

I moved two weeks into freshman year, graduated in three years, and had the social skills of your average 14-year-old nerd. I had friends in junior high and college, but for some reason I just never made any traction at all in HS.
  4. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

I still hang out with several friends from high school. Most of them are on the right track, some of them are doing really well. I was at the bar last night and saw an old friend there. He owned his own graphic design business before it merged with some other company or something.
  5. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Mine are sort of at the opposite ends of the spectrum. One guy is in a SuperMax facility, but one girl is a nuclear engineer. Some had kids while we were in high school, and some are still living up the single life a dozen years later.

Actually, now that I think about it, most of my female friends that I'm still in touch with have master's or doctoral degrees, while most of the guys either didn't finish college or took the long road to get the bachelor's. I'm sure that's predictable to those who know me, but it's rather striking now as I count it up.
  6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Still regularly see four or five HS friends even though we graduated 31 years ago. Saw three of them yesterday. All on very good tracks.
  7. Wenders

Wenders Active Member

Five years after high school and my four best friends:

*Are still living in my hometown
    *Only one went to college and she got an associate's degree from community college...that she doesn't use
    *All four have at least one child
    *Two have recently moved, finally, out of their parents' house with their progeny.
    *None of them have a real career (one is a para who works part-time as a nanny, one is a janitor at the local presidential museum and library, one works as a manager and the other....I'm not sure what exactly she does. She might work on a dog farm.)

I see them occasionally, but I'm much closer to my college friends.
  8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

My best friend bounced around for a while -- Military, college in the Midwest, grad school in Cali. Somewhere in all that, she came out and became a gay rights activist. Another one worked in PR for a big Chicago firm before getting married and having a coupla babies. Another has four babies (one out of wedlock, which is really weird if you knew her back in HS) and just finished up her master's. A guy we ran with brutally raped a woman while high on meth not long after high school and has been in prison ever sense. Those are about the only ones who left our little tiny crappy hometown.
  9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Most of my friends from high school I don't see anymore. My three best friends from my graduating class, the ones who were die-hard sports fans, well off the face of the earth. One moved to Tennessee for college and never comes back, one keeps taking mission trips to places like Ukraine, and the third person has one of those girlfriends who doesn't let them leave the house. We only talk when it is fantasy football season, which is sort of sad.

I occasionally see about three other people I graduated with, but not really by choice. Two girls, who were editors on the school newspaper with me are always around town when I come home. They've both been taking college courses for seven years and have no degree - pretty much going nowhere in life. A third girl is dating one of the guys I ran cross country and track with. She was in my class, but he was a few years older.

Generally, everyone I hang out with who went to my high school are guys I ran with and now coach with/coach against. None were in my graduating class which is sort of strange. But the guys from my grade were shitty runners, so that's how I justify it.
  10. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Best friends in high school... one guy with whom I was captain of the cross country team is a doctor, married with a kid, and has run sub-2:30 for the marathon a handful of times. The swim team co-captain is a professional opera singer. The student council president is married with two kids and teaching high school science. The girl I liked is teaching English and doing Peace Corp-type things in Costa Rica, while occasionally lobbying for those less fortunate at the statehouse in St. Paul.
  11. spup1122

spup1122 New Member

One just finished law school and is studying for her bar exam. One graduated from BYU and is a freelance features writer for a paper in Utah. She's married with two kids and a third on the way (at the age of 26). The third just graduated from BYU and is living with roommates in Provo. Another graduated with an engineering degree and is now a civilian employee with the Air Force.

Now that I think about it, I'm probably the least successful of my friends. This is a crappy thread!
  12. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

I don't live anywhere near where I went to high school, so I rarely see anybody from my class except at the reunions (every 10 years).

My best friend during my high school years was killed in a car crash early in our senior year, but a few months later, I reconnected with the guy I'd been best buds with since fourth grade. We've been tight ever since, and we still talk on the phone a couple of times a month.
Draft saved Draft deleted