1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What happened to TV Land?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smasher_Sloan, Feb 8, 2009.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

this thread could rapidly devolve into a Josie Davis v. Nicole Eggert threadjack.

2. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Someone correctly mentioned that the network got away from its original purpose, just like the first VH-1, FX, VH-1 Classic and ESPN Classic.

When TV Land first started, I watched "Hill Street Blues" daily -- I was in grade school/junior high when the show was at its peak and remember watching only a handful of episodes, primarily because I usually had to be in bed by the time it was on.

Went through the whole series, and it was like getting a new episode every day, and the retro commercials and "In The News" from CBS Saturday mornings was an added bonus. Great stuff.

Now, like ESPN Classic, I can't remember the last time I watched TV Land.

3. They've locked up great shows - MTM, Hill Street, WKRP, Barney Miller, the Odd Couple -- and don't show them.
    I hate that channel.

4. I Digress

I Digress Guest

There's also RTN out there now.. I know it shows a lot of Magnum and some other old detective shows.

5. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

The worst part is they show some of the same Andy Griffith episodes two days in a row.

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I know one of our local stations is using one of its digital channels to show old shows 24/7. You can see stuff like 'Leave it to Beaver', 'Kojak', 'Adam-12' and 'The A-Team'.

It's run in cooperation with RTN.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

WGN has a "retro night" Sunday night that includes two WKRPs.

8. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Wow. I hate them. I would love to see all of those.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Mother fucking reality shows are a virulent video venereal disease infecting every goddamn TV channel in the world.

Name virtually any TV network which at one time was good, and now has gone utterly to shit, and it can be traced to the day the cocksucking reality show infestation started to spread.

Anybody involved in reality shows needs to be pounded on the dome with a goddamn sledgehammer. And then have a few bullets pumped into their skull.

10. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

I'm guessing that's a No.

11. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

When we first got Nick in my hometown in the mid-80's, the classic TV block hooked me. I watched "Route 66" every night. I haven't seen it anywhere since but it was one of my favorite shows.

My mom thought it was strange that one of her favorite teen-years shows would become one of my favorite teen-years shows.

12. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I'm not sure what ALN stands for, but I have it on my digital cable. Looks like they broadcast 80s NBC dramas and some of the classic comedies we've identified (MTM, WKRP and both classic Newharts).

Draft saved Draft deleted