1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What happened to TV Land?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smasher_Sloan, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Used to be one of my favorite stops. Now it's just the same stuff, Andy Griffith and Cosby around the clock, it seems.

Plus they run movies now?

Are all the really classic sitcoms (aside from Andy Griffith, obviously) now attracting the wrong demographic?

2. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

They showed Broadcast News earlier today. That's always fun to watch, even with commercials.

TV Land's also showing "reality shows." It seems they now have the High School Reunion franchise.

3. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

Great question. I didn't have TV Land for the longest time, and they'd have great shows like Emergency! and CHiPs, I think, when I was visiting family. Then, I finally got it, and it's been crap ever since. Very disappointing. I don't think I've watched it in a couple of years.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Sounds kinda like BYH Classic; got away from its original unpretentious aim and started sucking.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Pretty much. (he says as he watches Metal Mania, oh well, at least it still shows videos in the middle of the night)

It sounds like with TV LAnd that the idiot execs decided Andy Griffith, et al, weren't appealing to the hipper, younger demographic that has no money to spend on the shit that is advertised, so they went with '80s- and '90s-era sitcoms instead of continuing to cater to the most loyal and patient audience it could have cultivated.

I imagine in 10 years we'll be throwing shit at the TV b/c "King Of Queens" and "Still Standing" are on 24/7.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The blocks of shows really stink. I'd reprogram the network around the classic nights of the week. Murder She Wrote on Sundays, Newhart and Mash on Mondays, Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley on Tuesdays, Cosby, Family Ties on Thursdays and All in the Family Mary Tyler Moore, Bob Newhart and Carol Burnett on Saturdays.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

They already are.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I shudder to think of the day Madonna and Adam Sandler are given the Kennedy Center Honors.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

I meant on TV Land. It's one thing to see that crap in syndication...that's fine, there's a lot of shitty shows that reach 100 episodes and continue to haunt us in harmless time slots. But the day I see "According to Jim" on TV Land is the day the streets will flow with blood. (too much?)

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

And I realize now that I was mixing up Nick with TV Land...TV Land does seem to concentrate on the really old sitcoms, albeit in block format. Nick is the one with the newer stuff. I'll just go to the bench with my four fouls and ponder my fail until the next TV timeout.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Active Member

You foul out for not mentioning Small Wonder.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. BYH

BYH Active Member

How about if I mention Out Of This World instead? Does that get me back in the game?

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted