1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What happened to the Bonds racial witch-hunt argument?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, Jan 9, 2007.

1. ThomsonONE

ThomsonONE Member

While I agree that there is no pure black and white, there is a simple test. Would you want it published in the paper? If not, don't do it.

I take a cortisone shot because my shoulder hurts? I'm OK with it if it is in tomorrows paper.
    Anabolic steroid shot? I don't want that published.

Doesn't seem too murky.

2. John D. Villarreal

John D. Villarreal New Member

Not really.

Most of the guys loved me because I was like one of them & did funny interviews along with good info. As you know they get tired of answering the same questions & stats EVERY day. With me they got to talk about all kinds of stuff + inside jokes and such + game stuff (from a different angle/take).

These guys love to joke around and have fun (hence the term "locker room humor").

As far as I can remember Barry was the only problem I ever had.

But I know your just being a smartass. So, (to quote a super genius), whatever - lol.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Hey, John, did Barry give you any scoops?

4. John D. Villarreal

John D. Villarreal New Member

It is quite murky, but that is an interesting take T-1. Let me think on that.

My initial reaction is that what we want in the paper has more to do with PR value than competitive value.

Look, I think we all know that at some point outside chemical help is unfair, the question is what is the point and what is the appropriate standard?

In your example, cortisol - GREAT point - done all the time to keep players on the field. Well that is an outside hormone - it has dangers and is not natural (per se). How is that different logically?

Now your quite right that it is different from a PR value but that proves little. Just what the media hypes.

How about Brett Favre, his serious painkiller addiction, and his streak (that he likely would not have made without those PK's)? Does he get an asterisk? Does he get banned from Canton?? He will if he gets the Mark treatment (I am sure someone will swipe this analysis - just give me credit ok & you can use it all day long, thanks).

Or what about cancer, burn, MD, or AIDS victims. They take steroids for their diseases - should they not be allowed to play? Steroids after all are medicines first and foremost.

My basic point is this is quite complicated.

But let me think more as you may have opened some ideas as to the path to the right standard here.

As I have said, my opinion as of now is that we need to separate three issues & discuss each separately:

1.) Health & safety of drugs
    2.) Legality (should be driven by #1)
    3.) Cheating (strongly influenced by 1&2 but stand on its on as well)

But yeah, let me think more on this as you raise a good Q

John

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yes we do. Thank you for caring.

Draft saved Draft deleted