1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What happened to the Bonds racial witch-hunt argument?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, Jan 9, 2007.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

He also had entire seasons, pockets of his career, when he was an un-intimidating .220 hitter.

The baseball purist can make a hell of a lot better case for McGwire being denied than for Bonds.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The only colors that matter with steroids are cream and clear. :p

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Kingman retired almost precisely when the modern offensive era was taking off (not only HR numbers ballooned, but so did BA and just about everything else). If Kingman had come along 15 years later and played in the same era as McGwire, he probably would have hit .260, just like McGwire. Almost identical players.

4. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I have my doubts about Kingman hitting .260, but a good portion of his career was before my time.

5. He hit .260 or higher five times in his 16-year career. His career average was .236.

6. DyePack

DyePack New Member

.260 lifetime.

7. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Where are you getting that? Baseball-Reference (among others) have him at .236.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yes, but he'd have had like 800 homers...

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

It isn't If you go back to the Playboy article, it's pretty clear that Jeff Novitzky was out to get Bonds from the beginning and Novitzky's actions since then confirm that. Remember that Novitzky's stated reasoning (from the Playboy article) for starting the investigation was that Bonds was an asshole to reporters and wouldn't it be great to bring him down (or something like that). Novitzky's intitial motivation certainly wasn't that steroids are bad for our youth and we need to find some way crack down on their distribution. So I don't think Bonds ha's been made the poster boy for the steroids issue because he is black as much as I think it's because he's a militant (uppity?) black guy. Unfortunately, we only seem to like our black athletes in this country if they are of the cause-no-waves variety.

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I get your point, and in many ways I agree with with what you're trying to say, cran, but do we like white athletes who make waves?

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Everything you're saying about Bonds is right. He actually makes people want to see bad things happen to him. He certainly doesn't give many people a reason to like him as a person.

But is McGwire an uppity white man? Because right now, he's the poster child for steroids. Just saying.

12. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

;D Got my giggle for the day! Why am I laughing at all the Whitlock jokes?

Draft saved Draft deleted