1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What happened to me? CMA Awards

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Nov 11, 2009.

1. bwright

bwright Member

You've started a thread on one of my favorite topics, and I've got to toss my $.02 into the coffers.

I love Darius Rucker.
    Brad Paisley is immensely talented, but my opinion of him is tainted by all the gimmicky "haha" shit he's put out that's cute for the first few times, but quickly fades. I can't imagine owning an album with "Celebrity" on it.
    I can't settle on an opinion of Taylor Swift. My fiancee had her first album, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. But then she puts out shit like "Love Story" and makes awful, cliched, shitty videos like the one for "You belong with me." (To that note, I was sort of glad Kanye did what he did to detract from the fact that she actually won an award for that garbage.)

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

Yes.

And his wife is to die for. :)

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I can't speak to the first part given my limited knowledge of all things Nashville, but that last part is very true.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

Toby Keith still puts out some catchy stuff that I enjoy listening to, but he's a caricature.

I enjoyed a lot of the music that he released in the phase of his career before "How Do You Like Me Now" took him into the stratosphere, because I felt it was sincere and wasn't pandering. Then again, I'm not at all certain that he's pandering.....he may have been a caricature under wraps that whole time prior to 2000.

Brad Paisley, though.....he plays cute from time to time, but in my opinion it never detracts from the fact that he's a serious artist with genuine chops, as a singer, as a writer and as a guitarist.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I love it that he has paisleys on his guitar.

Someone earlier said something about mainstream or current country. My son and I discussed this last night - isn't there some term for "old" country and another for "new" country?

I love a lot of old, or traditional country. Never much cared for the new until lately. Maybe the presence of my son in the house has changed my thinking. I had a chance to see Zac Brown this summer - wife, kids, sig others went and I had something else going on. Toes is a pretty cool song.

Yeah, ain't none of them Johnny, Waylon, Willie and the boys. No one ever will be. That doesn't mean everything these days sucks (just a lot of it).

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

I grew up on 60s and 70s country and my parents watched "Hee Haw" all the time. Yeah, it was a hokey show, but they had some dynamite music. Every big star of the era was on that show, and I soaked it all up.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Great show.

Cathy Baker, it turns out, lives not far from here. She showed up in the restaurant I worked one night and I 'bout died. Looked as great in person as she did on TV.

BR-549

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

Junior Samples was awesome. :D

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The two types of music that seem to sell the best are rap and country. They also have very loyal fan bases.

I think there's also enough acts out there like Taylor Swift and Carrie Underwood, Shania Twain, Tim McGraw among others that have a lot of mainstream appeal.

Hell, Kellie Pickler has done so well that you could argue that she's one of the more successful American Idol contestants. Some of the people who have won the show would kill to have the success she's had.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Isn't Paisley married to Kimberly Williams, from Father of the Bride and According to Jim?

The Kanye spoof made national news. I thought it was hilarious. I'm just waiting for someone to claim it was racist.

11. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Re: Hee Haw - My parents watched, too, much to my dismay, but I always did like Buck Owens.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Yes, he is married to Kimberly Williams, which means he also has a very hot sister-in-law. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted