1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What happened to all the NFL Championships?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Upper Tupper, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Absolutely fair game.

And after that Super Bowl, my Harrison Personal Slander License remains open-ended.

All in good fun, of course.

2. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

It annoys me when ESPN runs a list of items that have happened in the NFL "since the merger." Does that mean no one kept track before the merger (unlikely) or that ESPN thinks only anything since 1970 is official?

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Does the NBA still recognize NBL and BAA champions when talking about world championships?

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Absolutely. And regarding Harrison, rip away. Great player, but he deserves it.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

BAA, yes, because the NBA considers its history to have begun with that entity in 1946. I don't believe it recognizes NBL history or its champions, just as the NHL does not recognize WHA history or its champions.

It's too bad the NFL does not recognize the AAFC's history as it does the AFL's. If it did, Cleveland would jump to third place on the championship list with eight titles.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Let's not even talk about that, Double J. It hurts too much.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

Sorry, ijag.....I forgot that was a sore spot. I feel shame. :-[

8. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Not to defend ESPN "post merger" because I hate it, but I think it has a lot to do with the NFL Stat and Record book that comes out each year. They have a lot of stats like that in there, plus the last "eight years" things. That being said a good reporter/researcher should be able to pull their own stats once in awhile instead of relying on the book.

9. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Some of those early NFL titles were won against schedules that included teams that fielded high school kids. I'm not sure that's entirely equitable to the modern NFL, post-merger, post-1960, or whatever cutoff point you choose.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

90% of life is showing up. And the Packer and Bear forebearers were around and kicking -- and dominating -- well-prior to the Pittsburghs of the world, never mind such Johnnie-come-latelies as the Cowgirls.

11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

"The free agency era" is an ESPN favorite.

12. hpdrifter

hpdrifter Member

pretty sure that first vikings super bowl team was the nfl champ before losing to k.c. - the afl champ. so, they've got that going for them...

Draft saved Draft deleted