1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What great lacrosse ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shotglass, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I didn't have a dog in the fight, but this is correct. There were also people in the area of the Maryland sideline calling for timeout, don't know if any of the people calling for it had a right to, but it was easy to understand why the ref blew it dead.

Virginia did such a good job on Catalino, the Terps top attackman, the only decent shot he got off in 80+ minutes of play came a beat or two after the whistle.

2. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Yeah that 'inadvertent' whistle sucked.

I started goin' to Maryland lacrosse games back in the '70s. Had a certain rock-concert feel to them then, if you know what I'm sayin' ....

Went to an NCAA tournament game against Ohio State a few years ago with my brother, not quite the same. But still fun.

Maryland's always had a good lacrosse team but I don't think they've ever won the national championship. Hopkins punks 'em lots of times.

3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I find that hard to believe. There are, what, 50 schools that play D-I lacrosse? And about 10 of them compete for the best recruits. Maryland's never won a title?

EDIT: per Wikipedia, Maryland has 11 national championships, but only two NCAA tournament titles and none since 1975.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

This is a great sport that will never rise above its current national status, which is pretty cool if you ask me.

Public schools will never take on a new lacrosse program. There is just too much money tied up in insurance and equipment. You also have to book field time against football and soccer.

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Lots of public schools are adding lacrosse. Likewise, most systems play soccer in the fall. Football is a non-issue.

6. 93Devil

Where are schools adding lacrosse?

7. Flying Headbutt

All across the country. Colorado and Texas are two states.

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Devil, it's booming in Pennsylvania. It was added as a sanctioned sport by the state's governing body this year.

9. Flying Headbutt

FWIW, that game will be on ESPN Classic tonight at 8pm eastern.

10. 93Devil

Are Class A Pennsylvania schools dropping football for lax?

Right now in Virginia we are dropping sports. Not adding them.

11. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Are there many high schools in Virginia dropping lacrosse? I haven't heard of that happening. The lacrosse program at one of the schools I cover is only a few years old and every time they open a new high school in this area it has a lacrosse team.

12. 93Devil

Indoor track is no more in my county.

We could have lost all middle school sports, but they seem safe for now.

Draft saved Draft deleted