1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What great lacrosse ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shotglass, Mar 28, 2009.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I'm sure college hockey fans aren't happy (it's already 12 minutes in), but this Maryland-Virginia lacrosse match (ESPN2) is scintillating. Going into third OT tied at 9-9.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Going to the fourth overtime? WTF? They should go to a shootout if no one scores in the first overtime.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Oh, no, no, no. The intensity is building with each OT.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Why?

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

It's not an elimination game, right?

Well, if you can't settle the outcome after a reasonable period of time, then either (1) call it a tie or (2) have some sort of gimmick to break the tie, like they do in NCAA football. I mean, how long are you going to stay out there?

Besides, the announcer needs to go take a leak.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Field or box lacrosse?

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

As long as it takes, I would assume. I hate gimmicks that decide games.
    I'd rather see a tie than a skills competition.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I'm assuming field. No way a box game goes that many OT's

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Field, JR.

This one's especially good, because ninth-ranked Maryland had No. 1 Virginia on the ropes for almost the entire game. But UVa hit for three lightning-quick goals late in regulation to force OT. And both teams have had real chances throughout OT.

10. Simon

Simon Active Member

Alright, I'm going to call bullshit on this being good entertainment.

First off, each overtime is only four minutes long. So if they had overtimes as long as quarters, it'd only be in the second over time. Second, each team gets a damn timeout for each overtime. This is ridiculous. There's more stoppages than college basketball in the last 30 seconds. This is horrible entertainment and I'm not a lacrosse basher. I usually enjoy the sport but I'd rather be watching a real game that matters...

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I am loving it. Six overtimes.

12. Simon

Simon Active Member

I think you should hit the mute button and see if you're still loving it without the Joe Rogan wanna-be telling you its amazing.

Draft saved Draft deleted