1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What got you started?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by huntsie, May 5, 2008.

1. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

Can you point to a time or an event or a piece of writing that made you decide "I want to do this for a living?"
    For me, it was Allen Abel in the Globe and Mail -- the guy was a genius with the written word. I remember a column he wrote in which the whole premise of the piece was that, if Tony Esposito had stopped Jacques Lemaire's long shot in Game 6 of the Stanley Cup final in 1971, the entire face of hockey would be different.

The Hawks would have won the Cup. Bobby Hull wouldn't have jumped to the WHA. The WHA would never have gotten off the ground....and so on.
    I thought...Man I wish I could write like that guy and do it every day...
    I can't mind you. But I get to do it every day...

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I was dropped on my head as a child... :D

3. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

After seeing my first byline, I was hooked.

4. Mizzougrad96

After seeing your first paycheck, not so much... :D

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I blame soccer.

6. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Someone offered me some at a party.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Did you inhale?

8. Mizzougrad96

Friends don't let friends major in journalism...

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Reading coverage of the Senators in the Washington Post.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I could write better than anyone at my hometown weekly. And I found I knew more than anyone at the 13K county daily down the road.

]This is immediately after 4+ years of watching Bundesliga Fußball. Except the Krauts wrote better English.

11. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Wasn't sure whether I preferred radio or print when I got to college. I tried the newspaper first, and one of my first few assignments was a feature on the university's star pole-vaulter, who had Division I's leading mark of that season and was a national championship contender. Plus, he looked like an eccentric character with his crazy hair and slit eyebrows and quirky personality.

I went to interview him without knowing much about his background (hey, I was a cub reporter), and it turned out he had your typical from-the-ghetto-to-athletic-stardom-and-first-college-degree-in-his-family story. I wrote the feature, got a clip and never looked back (though I, like many of us, do some radio stuff on the side).

My love for sports came from following State U. during the school year and the Cubs in the summer. I'd play ball or swim with my buddies all day every summer ... except when the Cubs were on TV.

12. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Actually, it was my high school paper. No paycheck, no nothing. They don't tell you what kind of paycheck to expect in high school. Bastards.

Draft saved Draft deleted