1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What gets the job, period.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Yawn, Aug 27, 2006.

1. Yawn

Yawn New Member

On that sentence alone, you wouldn't get most jobs. I hope you spell-check your resumes better than you spell-check your posts.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Not sure I can answer how to get the job before you leave the office but a ranking of what helps you get a job in sports.

1. Who you know (A person on staff or someone the editor respects putting in a good word can put you at the top of the pile. It often can overcome resume/clips that don't stand out. One reason? A handful of dynamite clips written by someone you don't know could be the product of great editing or a writer who can turn it on at times but is a pain in the butt otherwise).
    2. Good clips (Solid writing can/should often get you an interview).
    3. How you present yourself. (Smart go-getters get the nod).
    4. Intangibles, race/gender/experience/pay/moving expense, etc.

3. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Yeah, that moving expense is an automatic eliminator these days. No Arizonans will get consideration in say, PA. Actually, no Illini would get consideration in PA, Kansans in Oklahoma, etc., with TPTB who think that there's a good journalist right around every corner.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Not sure if you are serioous or not, but it depends on the job. Sure, a major daily is not going to worry about moving in a columnist or beat writer. But they damn sure ain't going to pay to move in an agate editor.

Other papers may hire you from wherever but you move at your own expense.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Gotta agree with Ace. Not only is "who you know" No. 1, but it's 1a, 1b, 1c. And it's not just a case of being the sports editor's buddy. Maybe the candidate ran into him many years ago when they were both competing on a beat and he kept in touch. Maybe it's a guy from the competing paper who the editor just kinda knows but respects the hell out of. Or maybe the word of mouth just went through four different people.

When I finally got on at a big paper, it was because I kept in touch with the editor over a few years and finally settled into another paper near his backyard. No, he wouldn't have hired me if my clips sucked and I interviewed like a clown, but being a known name was absolutely the No. 1 thing. Over the years, I found out that the bosses made lots of these hires, of people who had kept in touch and had worked their way up the ladder in other places. It was never just some great envelope that came across their desk after a posting went up.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

so that's the best kick to the balls you have yawn? ... fucking rookie.

7. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Offering to work for free helps.

8. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Actually, another like it. Try starting your sentences with capital letters.

Talk about rookie. And you found this board? I suppose so, with wishful thinking.

9. Yawn

Yawn New Member

And on that point, refer to the other thread you are acting childish on.

10. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

According to the thread about the opening in Champaign, Mon Stertitz, their new Illini beat writer could tell you about another quality that ensures a hire. Mon Stertitz know how to stick out during the interview and really be noticed.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

so it takes you two posts to basically make one point? you'll go far in this business, you really will ... just keep telling yourself that, really.

12. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Not to take sides in this argument, but why did you end your sentence in a preposition, Yawn?

Draft saved Draft deleted