1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What gem of wisdom would you pass along to a hopeful journalist/writer?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Thumper0, Jul 28, 2008.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

The only reason I'd want to go for a degree in journalism is so that I can teach it. I've discovered I have a passion for mentoring young reporters.

2. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Experience trumps a J-degree. Who you know trumps experience.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

internships? you must be kidding.

4. In Exile

In Exile Member

Read everything, don't listen to anyone that says you can't, find the ways to work that work for you, and keep in mind that every time you kick down a door there is another door waiting to be kicked in.

Listen, believe me, I understand the sturm und drang over current conditions in the industry - I've written for places that have gone under, as in ceased to exist. But I also remember a time when unemployment was double - DOUBLE - what it is now, and it took six months with a honors degree from a top notch college for me to get a job, any job... as a security guard, for minimum wage. I never made a dime from writing til I was twenty-eight . I'm fifty now and haven't earned a dime doing anything else in over fifteen years, but between ages twenty-one and twenty-eight I probably wrote a million words no one has ever or will ever read - hell I couldn't even afford a car, or a house, or brand name mac and cheese. I only paid off my student loans ten years ago.

There is one difference between being a writer and being someone who wanted to be a writer, or used to be a writer.

You stopped.

5. ink-stained wretch

ink-stained wretch Active Member

Be a reporter first. The phone is not your best friend. The doorbell is.

PS: Grain of salt factor — I never went to J school and never graduated from college.

6. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

Write the textbooks, not the stories.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Plastics.

8. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Get another job.

With the Internet there are plenty of opportunities to pursue your journalism passion on the side.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

how 'bout industry unemployment?

10. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

My two cents:

Realize that, nowadays, you will need to be an electronic technician as much as a reporter/writer.

Toward that end, get as much experience in videography and web production work as possible, and, in the interest of qualifying for as many jobs as possible, learn InDesign and as many other electronic layout systems as you can.

11. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Have a tremendous desire to learn. Be curious. Ask questions. Don't be afraid to be the only one taking an opposite side. Insist on excellence, especially from yourself.

12. Why would I be kidding?

Draft saved Draft deleted