1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What gem of wisdom would you pass along to a hopeful journalist/writer?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Thumper0, Jul 28, 2008.

1. But if you love what you do, everything will work out.

2. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

I'd probably tell you to check out the pinned thread above.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Get out. Now.

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Best advice I got from a journalism professor:
    Don't major in journalism.

Not because of all the nabobs but because his reasoning was that you won't get a well-rounded education and if you decide to do something different in life, you'll have to go back to school, but with a more all-purpose degree, you can at least look at other things.

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I agree with this. Even if the profession weren't hemorrhaging people, even if it were paying people fair, livable wages and even if they were treating people like they were human beings, I'd still agree with getting a degree in something other than journalism.

You can learn the necessary skills at a newspaper. In fact, a lot of people will say you learn more from being in a newsroom and dealing with reality than you do listening to some prof drone on about theory.

6. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

I agree. I still maintain that majoring in journalism was the biggest mistake I'd ever made (well, plus the choice of college itself, but that's another issue...)

7. Flash

Flash Guest

Have a passion for writing and asking questions. Learn to love mac and cheese.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Always use sunscreen.

9. awriter

awriter Active Member

Do more with less.
    Overtime? What's that?

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

That shit requires milk. Writers can't afford that luxury.

Ramen noodles. All ramen noodles, all the time.

11. Flash

Flash Guest

Meh ... I've made it with water.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

when you're in a gangster's house a day after it got shot up in a drive-by and he tells you the bullets were meant for him, fucking ask why.

and, if you wanna try to cover 6 sports events in a night and write about the journey, you're my type of sportswriter.

Draft saved Draft deleted