1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What exactly is management?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Leaver?, Mar 26, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I guess it is different. I had hire/fire/money authority.

2. leo1

leo1 Active Member

no

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Incompetent.

4. DougDascenzo

DougDascenzo Member

If part of your job is managing people, I'd say you're a manager.

5. where good journalism goes to die.

6. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Right answer. End of thread.

7. NightOwl

NightOwl Guest

Management is great if you care about the people who work for you, and you know they will be happy and productive if you show them that you're involved in their goals and aspirations.

Management is bullshit if you're trying to prove that your paper is all about cranking out pages on a committee-inspired flow chart without acknowledging that it's a creative process first, a manufacturing process second. Anyone who can't understand that should go manufacture buttons or something. You can get cheap labor to push out buttons, and you won't have to worry about them getting creative or anything like that.

I love my job. But nobody wants it done first-class anymore.
    I accept that my managers have given up, but that don't make it right.

8. EE94

EE94 Guest

The sentiment - nobody wants it done first-class anymore - in my experience, means managers have said no when a reporter has proposed being sent to some far-flung destination for what might be an interesting feature.

Before everyone shits on "managers", walk a few feet in their shoes.

Most managers don't say no because they want to. They say no because they have to.

On and on it goes up the chain and where it generally ends at the board level.

It's just a fact of life

Draft saved Draft deleted