1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What exactly is in that Fahrvergnugen, VW?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by murphyc, Sep 21, 2015.

1. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

So it's good that everyone in the company loses a job.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Somebody will snap them up on the cheap, like Fiat did Chrysler. They are the No. 1 automaker in the world, after all.

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

VW is one if the 10 largest companies in the world and if they went down it would have global implications.

Cheering for their end is odd.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Just like to point out that I predicted the cheering would happen a page back.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Remembrer Don Blankenship of Massey Energy? The coal mining outfit in West Virginia? The company that a couple years ago caused one of the worst mining disasters in decades? The disaster that killed 29 people?

He was just trying to get around those restrictive, pesky government regulations. He never would have made his company ignore the regulations if not for the regulations being there. All those people would still be alive if not for laws. Thanks, Obama!

Donny in his element likes this.
  6. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Well Devil is OK with that.

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

It hurts the VW brand more than Jared hurt Subway, but they're not going away even though stock took a 31 pct./$26 billion hit over two days.

There are just 482,000 recalls in the states. This is mostly a European and Russian problem, where the vast majority of those 11 million engines are spewing up to 40 times more nitrogen oxide into the air than previously thought. What about the consumer who is left with a devalued car that, even with the fix, will not perform as well?

There's an interesting back story about the research/discovery at W. Virginia that tipped off the EPA.

How Engineers at West Virginia University Caught VW Cheating - IEEE Spectrum

UPDATE: Winterkorn resigns.

Volkswagen chief executive Martin Winterkorn resigns - BBC News

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
  8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

The quote here from a VW fan nails the company's longterm problem on its head:

The brazen nature of VW's action — installing a software "defeat device" to change engine performance during testing — has enraged once-loyal VW customers. Owner Bob Merlis, a music industry publicist, told The Times he was looking to add a second Volkswagen diesel last week when the story broke.
    "I went shopping for a new one, the Golf Sportwagen, but that's so off the table now," Merlis said. "I don't want to do business with those criminals."
    Merlis loved the car for its high mileage and advertised "clean diesel" technology. He felt particularly angry because he had persuaded three friends to buy VW diesels.
    "I feel completely used," he said, "because I proselytized for it."

Volkswagen diesel scandal threatens to ruin its credibility and value

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

From TV's article.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Yes, because once VW dies a quick death, all those buildings are just going to sit empty.

Other car companies will swoop in and buy the buildings for pennies on the dollar and rehire the work force at probably the same wage. Sure, it sucks for the workers that a few rich a-holes wanted more money or to keep driving that stock price, but F those rich a-holes.

What about the poor schlub who now has a car that will not pass auto emissions or performs at 1/2 quality? Not everyone is going to be happy when this all plays out.

Heck, if I owned one of those, I would not make another single car payment.

YankeeFan likes this.
  11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Your bank would probably have an issue with that.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

My bank should have an issue with VW.

They choose to work with that auto maker on auto loans.

Draft saved Draft deleted