1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What exactly is in that Fahrvergnugen, VW?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by murphyc, Sep 21, 2015.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Blame the law for the criminals?

I guess you've turned over a new leaf.

YankeeFan likes this.
  2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

So you don't think that a "green" company such as Volkswagen doing this is at least hypocritical? And since they were so strongly on board with the Green Agenda, what do you suppose made them do it?

And I note you dodged the second question. Will the air be a lot cleaner when those cares are burning A LOT MORE diesel fuel?

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Their criminality and hypocrisy made them do it. They're bad people who don't care about anything besides making money. That's a pretty simple answer. I know you want to blame Obama and tree-huggers, but this is as clear-cut a case of fraud as you're ever going to find in the business world.

To your second question, it's more of your usual nonsense starting from a fallacy. They can build a better engine. But 30-35 mpg of not-horrible fuel is of course better than 45-50 mpg of the crap they're using now.

TowelWaver likes this.
  4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

YankeeFan and old_tony like this.
  6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

old_tony likes this.
  7. old_tony

Yeah, that $51 million could have saved Solyndra.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I assume the number of cars affected and the money involved is enough for all of us to be sufficiently outraged.

9. old_tony

I don't know yet. As I noted above, since this is an EPA case, only cars in the US should be affected.

I don't know for sure, but I think the vast majority of the cars that were rigged are actually outside of the US. I have no idea what emissions testing programs are like in other countries,

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

As you might know, I'm not a big fan of outrage, but yeah, this is pretty damned outrageous.

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

All 11 million VW vehicles with this TDI engine pump out 40 times more pollution than was originally thought. Does it really matter over what line on the map that pollution is floating?

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted