1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What exactly is in that Fahrvergnugen, VW?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by murphyc, Sep 21, 2015.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Even dumber, VW could have had added lifetime free oil changes at the dealership, instead of just the length of the warranty, and most buyers wouldn't even have known that an extra fluid was getting added for the diesel engine.

So it really quite baffling.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

The OBD-II test in both states involves simply making sure it's functional and all the diagnostics systems are "ready." So if, for example, your system has popped a trouble code, you can make it go away by simply disconnecting your battery for a few minutes and rebooting the system (or using a scan tool and erasing the code from the system's memory). But several of the system monitors require that the vehicle be driven through a particular cycle. So, when they plug it in at the inspection station, it says that, say, the catalytic converter system isn't ready. In Texas the number of systems that can be "not ready" depends on your car's model year. My son's 1999 truck can have three "not ready" ... my 2006 mini-van can have only two. My very quick Google on California says for 2001 and later cars, only one "not ready" is permissible.

As someone posted earlier, though, in California they're going to (or at least they could) note which VINs haven't gone through the recall repair and simply bar those cars from passing inspection.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

If you're going to invoke Nazis, they deserve more of a rebuke than a frowny face.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I was trying to think how many cities could produce that note. Portland would have been my first, second, third and fourth guesses. Berkeley, San Francisco before it got all techie-gentrified, maybe Seattle or Santa Fe. Not many others.

FileNotFound likes this.
  6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Some snotty fuck puts that on my car and I'll be driving it more just to spite them.

Vombatus likes this.
  7. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Don't forget Eugene.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

9. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Are their any TDI owners here with an eligible vehicle? We're looking into the process now. For my 13 Passat, they're looking at paying me between 21 and 24K. Interested in if anyone is pulling the trigger now, or waiting until closer to the 2018 deadline.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

11. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

This strikes me as a funny surname for an employee of a car maker.

Vombatus likes this.
  12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted