1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What exactly is in that Fahrvergnugen, VW?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by murphyc, Sep 21, 2015.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I just hope Baron comes back to give Devil another lesson in economics.

2. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

1996 and newer passenger vehicles aren't getting the ASM test. Newer diesels only get the OBD-II test, which doesn't "test" emissions.

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

If you really knew how much money they pay me, you'd think me more a murderer than a thief ... 'cause I'm killin' it, dog.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I hope you realize you were talking to yourself there.

5. doctorquant

I kinda like the nickname. Torch ... Might need to actually have a sig now ...

The Torch: Throwin' some conflagration toward a master of education!

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I wish Devil would give me a cool nickname.

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Flame on, Doc!

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I don't believe that you believe this.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Don't let it go to your head now, Torch.

doctorquant likes this.
  10. doctorquant

Actually OBD-II systems can monitor emissions (among them, NOx emissions, toward which diesel exhaust fluid is targeted). If things get out of whack, a DTC can be thrown. And, of course, at least in Texas, a DTC is a no-no for inspection. I don't know whether the VW "cheat" was in play for state-level inspections or just for EPA tests. If it wasn't in play, then the revelations will have nothing to do with whether VWs will pass. If it was, then, as I said before, whoo boy.

11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Bottom line is that someone had to code the detection of testing mode and the switch between driving mode and testing mode. Someone had to be sure that code was inserted into the production run. Someone had to see to it that the cars tested for the record by the EPA evaded detection of any cheating. This was not something that just a couple of guys cooked up. It was corporate policy and it ran for years.

12. doctorquant

On second thought ... As state-level inspection only looks to see whether: A) the system is functional and in a fully ready state; and B) whether it's free of trouble codes, the "cheat" won't be an issue for state-level inspections. These engines aren't throwing codes under normal circumstances, so they'll pass state inspections just fine.

13. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Will California DMV act to ensure drivers comply with VW recall?

Draft saved Draft deleted