1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What, exactly, does a movie have to do to get an "R" rating these days?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BYH, Sep 23, 2009.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Saw a Rodney Carrington special on Comedy Central, he sang "Show Them To Me" and several in the audience, and Comedy Central, did.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I'm not going to lie, I clicked on the link to see which Cars song it was that ingrained itself into YGBFKM's head. Once I heard it, I quickly cut it off before it entered my head.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I thought I heard somewhere that if a movie has more than three F bombs, it's gotta be bumped up to R rated. I could be wrong, though.

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Used to be one, then two... now you can show whatever.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I wasn't talking about what you show, rather what you say. I'm pretty sure you can't drop F bombs all over the place and still get a PG-13.

Edit: According to wiki, which is always reliable, PG-13 movies can have no more than four F bombs.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Forrest Gump has way more than three f bombs.

www.screenit.com

Some of you will be spending hours on this site. They document every thing that might be objectionable.

And it's done in a light-handed way.

Their movie reviews are great as well.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Does Scarface hold the record?

218 variations of fuck (Fucking, 101; Fuck, 99; Fucked, 12; Fucker, 2; Motherfucker, 4)

And 60 other uses of profanity making 278 . . . one every 36 seconds.

8. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

You've got to remember that nowadays according to the asses of those the MPAA and FCC is kissing that violence is good and nudity is bad.

9. Karl Hungus

Karl Hungus Member

The Big Lebowski is damn close, if not over 300 f-bombs.

I don't think this is all of them, but it's a good use of two minutes:

10. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

From what I've heard F-bombs are fine as long as the word isn't being used to describe a sexual act.

It's been many years since I've seen it, but I seem to recall that All the President's Men had several F-bombs. It was rated PG. In 1976.

A documentary called This Film is Not Yet R-Rated came out several years ago. It explored this very subject. It's well worth a watch whenever you have time.

[​IMG]

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I would love for one of these people who do the ratings to explain to me what the difference is if they say fuck five times or 20.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted