1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What exactly are sports journalists qualified to do?!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Leaver?, May 17, 2008.

1. captzulu

captzulu Member

I guess it's a matter of different experiences for different people, but when I was in the biz and covering games on a regular basis, it got to a point where it was repetitive. All the games were pretty much the same. Sure the faces and scores change, but the storylines all fell into one of a handful of categories. And on desk, your routine was the same every year -- FB preview, FB season, hoops preview, hoops season, March Madness, NBA & NHL playoffs, baseball, golf & horse racing, plus community sports crap, during the summer. Take a breath for 2 weeks in July, then you do it all over again. And covering prep games several years in a row, from the time I got out of high school to about 6 years after college, was enough to make me feel old knowing that I've seen some kids play for 4 years and then watched their younger siblings for 4 more years. It also gave me a feeling of being static, watching so many people move through stages in their lives and then seeing myself still in the same spot, watching them go by.

2. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

I've seen a handful of ex-journalists become teachers -- including myself.

Because so many schools are union jobs, where salary is tied to experience, the possibility of hiring an older person at an entry-level salary (which is still more $$ than I made as an SE) makes second-career teachers look very attractive to schools. That said, I had *7* interviews before I was hired in my current job, and the fact that I lived in/worked in the community for eight years didn't hurt, as the people I interviewed with were either coaches I covered or parents whose kids I covered.

The nice thing is, I get a few freelance nibbles during my rare free time, too, so I can stay in the game, but I don't deal with the burnout and the corporate BS that I used to.

Interestingly ... I coached in a tennis match a few weeks ago against one of the top programs in our state. Both me and the opposing coach were ex-SEs-turned teacher/coaches.

3. Peytons place

Peytons place Member

A couple years ago I thought I might like to try something else and went to a job fair in a pretty big city to see what else I was qualified for.
    Let's just say, I left pretty depressed.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

drink beer and bitch. a lot. of both.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Does that pay well? I think I can manage that.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

see howard stern.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yard work.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

who do you think you're kidding? you sweat doing yard work, don't you?

9. jps

jps Active Member

you work up a sweat downing all of those press box dogs, don't you?

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I worked up a sweat too, eating hot dogs at Michigan Stadium for years and trying to keep them down.

11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

When I left my previous job as an entry-level researcher, I thought I noticed gray hairs growing in my then-32 year old hair.

Now that I've been in this gig for just over two years, I know I don't see them (and believe me, I've looked). I actually *feel* younger now than I did then.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's not sweat. That's the hot dog toxins forcing all the healthy fluids out of your body.

Draft saved Draft deleted