1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What exactly are sports journalists qualified to do?!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Leaver?, May 17, 2008.

1. Leaver?

Leaver? New Member

Seriously considering doing something different due to hours, holidays and security of it all.
    I’ve decided that I want out but what’s holding me back is the fact that I’ve been doing this for ten years, and having worked as a journalist in Sports I’m unsure as to what exactly I’m qualified to do.
    In the last year I’ve completed a Masters in an unrelated field.
    So those of you who left, how did you go about?..
    Excited by the prospect of doing something different, but its a bit daunting too!

2. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

I'm wondering too. Thinking seriously of a career change, or at least a move out of a poisonous environment.

3. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

You're asking what everyone in this business is thinking, and best short answer I can give is nobody knows. Friends who've transitioned to PR seem to be doing well. But they made their moves a few years ago, and things have changed tremendously in the last few years, and those jobs are now very hard to get. I know of others who've thought about going to teaching, but don't know of anyone who's actually done it. Unless you expect to be laid off soon, I'd stay and try to ride out the recession. Time to think about a move, for sure, but not the best time to be making a move. The sinking tide's bringing almost everybody down with it.

4. fremont

fremont Member

We're qualified to be motivational speakers instructing people on how to be happy with what they do and accept the fact that you're going to be broke all your life. Since that's reality for a lot of folks, someone doing something like that could probably make a lot of money.

I think I smell a new gig....I'll even share all my Ramen noodle recipes as a bonus on my brochures....that'll put some asses in the seats.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

draw unemployment?

6. fremont

fremont Member

I'm damn good with a squeegee and can make anyone's car look like new. Anything you can spare I appreciate.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

8. fremont

fremont Member

I am not qualified for that. I can't read that Portuguese or whatever is at the bottom of that sign thingy.

Bilingual es preferido.

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

That's Spanish for "Careful: Wet Floor."

Think about some of the skills that are involved with writing gamers. Organizing writing is an important skill that can translate. Being able to bring one game event into historical context is an important skill. Interviewing people is a skill. Dragging answers out of them is a prized skill. If you're a desker, think about the kinds of things you do that can translate outside this business. Same thing for graphics designers or photographers.

As mentioned before, some of the same basics that go to writing a gamer also go to writing a news story (who and what in the lede, answering where, when and how.)

10. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i quit journalism to go to law school. now i'm a lawyer. after a slow start with a crappy firm, i changed firms and i am enjoying practicing law. i still don't get the rush of covering a game on deadline or breaking a big story and hearing or seeing ESPN cite something i broke but i like it.

11. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

If you have:

-- above-average written communication skills
    -- initiative
    -- a sense of urgency
    -- the ability to make deadlines
    -- solid research skills

you can learn the rest of whatever it is you want to do.

12. fremont

fremont Member

Check, check, check, check and check.

Prior to this post at least, I do jest...

Draft saved Draft deleted