1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What does this prove?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Gator, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

I don't know this guy, never read anything he's ever written (apparently he's won awards for his columns) but I came across this link. Is this what "hard journalism" has become? If so, I might take the train out.

http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/cohn/2009/09/richard-seymour-gets-angry-at-yours-truly.html

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Probably had to turn in a column, but couldn't because he didn't finish his interview.

3. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I don't know what it proves. Probably nothing.

But, I do know that nothing good can come of a public cry about your problems doing the job, or an internet drive for support by a reporter in what turned into a situation that could be perceived as combative.

And it doesn't matter whether the situation actually was combative, or not.

I found this out the hard way, from personal experience.

Cohn should have just let it go, and not written about it, even if he would have preferred to do otherwise.

Unfortunately, in the bloggish, "interactive" business of today, the tendency is to be more apt, not less, to share such experiences. Doing so nearly always backfires on a reporter, though, and they'll just wish they hadn't done it.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Seymour told him, "Next question."

Cohn had asked him about the hair pull. Seymour said it wasn't a mistake, and wanted to leave it at that. Cohn should have asked a different subject, or just left. Instead, he started arguing with the player. Nothing good can come of that.

5. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

Cohn was pissed at the Raiders PR guy, not Seymour.

Personally, if I were the PR flack, I'd revoke his credentials, but maybe I'm just an ass.

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I don't know Lowell ... I think this was a column a lot of us wrote in our 20s or 30s -- rude athletes acting rudely.

I don't know what good it did in this case.

7. spud

spud Member

My first reaction was what he was trying to gain by continuing on with that line of questioning. It seemed like he was trying to bait Seymour into saying something. The reality is that there probably wasn't much there. He saw hair, he grabbed hair, he's pissed about being in Oakland, yadda yadda... come to your own conclusions, but don't try to squeeze blood from a rock. If there's nothing there, you have to be a good enough journalist to call an audible and explore a different avenue. Bitching about it is sophomoric.

8. smsu_scribe

smsu_scribe Guest

The fact that this was made into a column seems ridiculous. Readers don't want to hear about our troubles. They want a story.

As for the actual incident, I agree with spud. Seems like Cohn continued with that question far too long. There was nothing there, not that Seymour wanted to talk about, anyway.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It's the columnist's fault for asking the question the way he did.

If he wanted to get into the thoughts on pulling hair, he should have phrased it like, "All that hair hanging down is just too tempting" or some such.

He does sound like he just wanted to bait him and the player wasn't going for it. And he comes off sounding like a fussy schoolmarm.

10. This is not Cohn's column, I do believe; it's a blog post. Cohn links to his column, which is on JaMarcus Russell. Seems to me that blogs are acceptable vehicles for discussing issues like this.

11. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

That's a reasonable point.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sure, inject reason into it.

He still sounded whiny.

Draft saved Draft deleted