1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Does This Mean?!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pete Incaviglia, Aug 20, 2011.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Hey all. I know I haven't posted on SportsJournalists.com in AGES but I also know some of the best advice in the biz comes from you fine folks, so I'm hoping that happens again.

So, I get a call from an ME doing the hiring at a job I applied for, interviewed for and then followed up with a writing test.

The following call took place late Friday afternoon:

EDITOR: We're close to our decision. But we want to know your salary expectations.
    ME: As long as it's roughly what I'm making now, I'm happy.
    EDITOR: Well, I'm authorized to offer XXXX per year.
    ME: That's actually a few thousand more than I make now. I'm more than happy with that.
    *small talk ensues, it includes us talking about me and my family (wife, two kids, one on the way) being closer to my parents and sister.
    EDITOR: Well, it's all coming up clover, isn't it!? Great. Thanks. We'll call you back.

No call back.

I talked to one of my references, she never heard from anyone.

What gives?

Am I their choice? Or, is it common to call a few candidates to ask that question — and then leave them hanging for the weekend?

I've never heard of a practise like that; calling several candidates and asking that, especially after we all (were supposed to) list our expectation on the online application. And, yes, I did that, too.

Just weird. And it's made for a stressful weekend.

Anyone have any idea what all this may mean?

2. Mozilla

Mozilla Guest

Don't know what it means, but it sure is bush league.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

So this happened about 32 hours or so ago? I think you're still OK. Being left hanging for a weekend happens to everyone. Of course, the "we'll call you back" also has a wide berth of two hours to three days to four weeks to never.

Hope it works out.

4. awriter

awriter Active Member

I wouldn't worry too much. I'd wait a few days and call or e-mail if you don't hear back.

5. Pete Incaviglia

I spoke to my neighbor about it. He's an IT guy in management where he works. He said he's been in the position of the ME — calling a candidate late Friday and then saying "I'll call you back" only to find out things couldn't be hammered out because HIS superiors had gone home for the weekend.

I move to ban all Friday hiring-related phone calls!

6. Lynn_Hoppes

Lynn_Hoppes Member

It's a common practice because the hiring manager isn't necessarily human resources. So the person will alert hr want the number is, a contract will be processed and then an official offer will be made. In some cases, it could take weeks.

7. Pete Incaviglia

This makes me feel better. And makes some sense because the corporation's HR department is in another city and has been part of the process from the beginning.

8. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I'm sure you're fine.
    But if it wasn't already on an application I'd filled out, I would never say what you did about the salary being better than what you're making now.

9. ralph russo

ralph russo Member

Somebody once gave me some good advice about situations such as this and it goes a little something like this:

This job that you're gunning for is the most important thing in your life. It's not the most important thing in the life of the person hiring you. In fact, it might be the third- or fourth-most important thing in his/her day.

Good luck.

Now does that excuse a person for leaving you hanging for days, even weeks (had that happen to me once)? Nope. But 36 hours or a weekend? It sucks and I feel for you, but try not to read too much into it.

10. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

This.

Just say, "I'm fine with that," or, "That's fair, and fine for me." Or, if it's not, then, "I need (or would like) to ask for XX/something close to XX."

11. Pete Incaviglia

I filled it out on the online application.

And then, when asked over the phone Friday, I simply said "what I'm making now is fine. So what are you offering?" He gave me a number, I said, "Sounds good. It's actually a little more than I'm making now. I'm fine with that offer."

12. Pete Incaviglia

I like this. And I'll remember it.

Draft saved Draft deleted