1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What DOES The Second Amendment Mean?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flying Headbutt, Mar 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EE94

EE94 Guest

the second amendment meant something 200 years ago when a full and organized military was not available

it was meant to protect against external threats

the U.S. has a pretty big army now, so I've heard, so the amendment is completely and utterly out of date

Japan has strict gun controls and, according to a quick glance at google, has around 40 gun murders a year.

that's a bad week in Los Angeles alone

but go ahead and get those guns, people. it's your RIGHT!

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

EE94...if only it were that simple, or that cut and dried, to say the amendent is out of date. I'm not a gun fan, but I certainly see the value in keeping individual gun ownership open for responsible Americans. I just think it should be regulated a lot better than it is now.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

I'm still waiting for someone to give me a good reason anyone needs to own a hand gun.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

You commie! Move to Canada!

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Why should anyone own a knife? Or a baseball bat?

6. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I think the argument is that knives and baseball bats combined are not involved in the number of deaths every year as handguns, but I see your point as well.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Well, people own baseball bats to play baseball...not necessarily to kill someone.
    People own knives for various reasons and they can't accidentally shoot someone with a knife -- not that I see any great need to own a knife (other than carving knives, steak knives, etc.) either.

So, I ask again, can anyone give me a good reason people need to own hand guns?

8. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

But needing something isn't a legal prerequisite for owning it.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

I am not talking the legality here, Pirates. I want to know why you would need to own a hand gun?
    And I still believe the second amendment does not give the individual the right to own a gun....
    "A well regulated militia...etc."

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Personal protection
    Target shooting (for fun or competition)
    Olympic competition
    Hunting
    Investment (obviously just certain high-grade pistols fall into that category)

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

1. I don't have a desire to shoot anyone. But if some breaks into my home and I need to protect my family, I would.

2. Red herring. That's like saying "Why take kickboxing classes at the gym unless you plan to beat somebody up?" Shooting targets doesn't mean you're practicing to commit murder.

3. OK

4. Squirrels, deer, rabbits, feral hogs ... just about anything can be hunted with a pistol, if you have the right caliber. It's much more difficult than hunting with a rifle, because you have to get closer to the game.

5. You're right. Which is why I own two pistols that haven't been loaded, let alone fired, in more than 20 years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.