1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What does SJ.com mean to you?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Drip, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

For a few, it's a great place for reference material. For some, it's a place to vent. For others its a place to communicate without looking at someone eye to eye. And to many, it's a place to tell tales, act immature and basically show another side of your personality.
    So I ask, what does SportsJournalists.com mean to you?

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Re: What does SportsJournalists.com mean to you.

It's a place to tell tales, act immature and basically show another side of your personality.

3. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Re: What does SportsJournalists.com mean to you. EDIT: SJ.com means this: SJ.com Springer and Jacoby, which is some kind of German computer company. Here's their front page story: PETA2 & S&J @ World of Warcraft The 2009 season for commercial seal hunting has opened. The Canadian government has sanctioned the death of 338,200 seals and the world’s largest mass slaughter of sea mammals is underway! However, resistance to this is on the increase in both Europe and Canada and is growing in intensity. In keeping with their motto ‘Action speaks louder than words,’ the animal rights group PETA2 is calling for people to take part in the most action-packed online protest of all time. This organised struggle against bloodshed is taking place in World of Warcraft (WoW) which, with over 11 million players, is the world’s largest online role-playing game. A scenario in the game now allows people to fight against four seal-hunter characters. Six in-game films produced under the direction of Springer & Jacoby document the arrival and goings-on of ‘The Canadian Sealhunt @ World of Warcraft.’ “People who want to do something about seal hunting in Canada but don’t know how can now at least stop the Canadian seal hunters on a virtual basis,” comments Jobst Eggert from PETA2. Anyone who wants to join the struggle can register online at www.peta2.de to receive their personal appointment to lock horns with the seal hunters. The symbolic, yet realistic battleground is the new icescape created for WoW in November 2008.

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

It's a place where I can talk about the life I like to pretend have -- complete with flings and affairs, battles with HR and jealous, rival co-workers, and life and death tales where I use my brawn as often as my brain to get out of sticky situations in the random towns I visit -- and not the life I actually have.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Since World of Warcraft was already brought into the thread, I believe the phrase is "time sink."

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Woah. You were not being truthful on all of those (now I see that they were inane) threads you started?!?!?

You are a master in deception, then, because I was really fooled by you. The part I am most ashamed of, was how impressed I was every time you name dropped about one of your "good friends," or how you were there to witness the development of someone very accomplished at something. I thought you really have lived a more interesting life than Forrest Gump that has included audiences with Queens, Kings, Popes and Gene Banks.

I am so ashamed I didn't see that it was all an act.

7. Flying Headbutt

Not Gene Banks, but Ernie Banks. And we talked about baseball (we both played in the Negro Leagues together) as well as my time as a football player at the University of Texas.

I also helped Vin Scully refine his pace during broadcasts so that he sounded more relaxed. When he first started the guy was a spazz. It was almost Fran Drescher-bad.

I could go on and on, but I have a brunch with Rod Carew, Kevin Bacon, and Michael Bloomberg to get to. Pancakes and bacon, man, pancakes and bacon!

8. The Big Ragu

Hello, my name is Flying Headbutt, and I'm a moderator on Sportsjournalists.com. In fact.. I created the place!

I didn't always lie. No, when I was a kid, I told the truth. But then one day, I got caught stealing money out of my mother's purse. I lied. I told her it was homework--that my teacher told me to do it. And she got fired! Yeah, that's what happened!

After that, lying was easy for me. I lied about my age and joined the army. I was thirteen at the time. Yeah.. I went to Vietnam, and I was injured catching a mortar shell in my teeth. And they made me a three-star general! And then I got a job in journalism, writing for the National Enquire.. er, Geographic! Yeah.. I was making twenty thousand a ye.. month! In fact, I won the Pulitzer Prize that year! Yeah, that's the ticket.

And then my cousin died--Joe Louis--and I took it hard. Maybe too hard--I tried to kill myself. Yeahh.. I did kill myself! Sure! I was medically dead for a week and a half! It was a woman that brought me out of it--Indira Gandhi! Yeah, right.. And she told me about Sportsjournalists.com.

Oh, you'd be surprised how many famous people post on here. That is why the board means so much to me. In fact.. I met my wife on here--Jessica Alba! Yes, Why, I--I even have my picture on the cover of Newsweek magazine because I am the best moderator ever. Yeah. Every day! Yeah.. that's the ticket! Yeah, you betcha!

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I love sportsjournalists.com. :)

10. Flying Headbutt

These days I get by with the help of that magic hugger, Alma. Not the guy who used to be chinatown, but the real Alma. We also sometimes canoodle. But it's all good.

Say, did I ever tell you I played Ned Braden in Slapshot as well? Boy that Paul Newman was a swell guy.

11. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

He used to live next door to you, right? Had an open backdoor policy, if I remember correctly.

12. The Big Ragu

Paulie sure came a long, long way after he played a fight spectator on one episode of The Joe Palooka Story in 1954.

Draft saved Draft deleted