1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

    Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

    We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What does it take to become a K-12 teacher?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jay Sherman, Aug 20, 2008.

  1. Jay Sherman

    Jay Sherman Member

    A journalism degree wouldn't do much, I would assume. Do you just need a BA in Education? I know there's a lot of student teaching that is required, but what if you're out of school and want to go back for a grad degree? Just curious here and wondering what it takes education-wise.
  2. forever_town

    forever_town Well-Known Member

    Check this out.

    A lot depends on the state you live in, I would imagine.
  3. outofplace

    outofplace Well-Known Member

    93Devil would be a good one to ask. He works in education.

    F_T is correct that it is different depending on the state. The best thing you can do is find a teacher doing what you want to do (as in grade level and public or private school) and ask questions.
  4. Beaker

    Beaker Active Member

    It definitely depends on the state. Different states have different requirements for certification (i.e. courses, amount of student teaching) and may use a variety of certification exams.

    For example, five of the New England states use the same exam for certification, while Mass has it's own test.

    I have a Master's Degree, but if I wanted to teach in public schools, I'd have to go find a program (there are many one-year programs out there) to earn my certification, because I didn't do education in undergrad.
  5. PeteyPirate

    PeteyPirate Guest

    poindexter might have some thoughts on the matter.
  6. StormSurge

    StormSurge Active Member

    I'm currently attempting to reach this goal as well. First I need ny BA. My issue is time for class (I've knocked out most of the evening ones) and money.

    I wish I could quit my job & go full-time, but I have too many financial obligations. I also need the benefits.

    There are some shortcuts, which I'm exploring. (CLEP & DANTES tests)

    One of these days.
  7. In Exile

    In Exile Member

    My wife, a former journalist (who had an American Studies degree), is a teacher. She now has two master's degrees, both in education. She is so much better prepared in every way to teach than most who have just added a teaching certificate to a B.A. it isn't even funny. She knows what she's doing and what will work ahead of time rather than by trial and error.

    Yes to the master's degree in teaching.
  8. Beaker

    Beaker Active Member

    I agree, I think the master's degree is key. Most people I know who got certified at college went to complete their master's fairly soon after, even if they had started teaching already.

    One of the guys I graduated from my master's program with did it the other way around--he finished his degree, and then went back and got his certification, and he's starting to teach this year.
  9. andyouare?

    andyouare? Guest

    In my state, you have two years to get "certified" to teach. So you take classes once a week to get your masters. After a couple of years, you get certified and you get a bump in pay, too. It's a win-win.

    Either way, check your local states Dept. of Ed website, they're sure to have a section for career changers.
  10. mustangj17

    mustangj17 Active Member

    In my state you have to have an be certified. Which basically means getting a B.A. in Education. It will take you 1.5 years to 2.5 years depending on what classes you took for your B.A. in Journalism. But there aren't a lot of journalism classes to teach so plan on having to get certified for other subjects. Oh yeah and you have to pass the basic skills test for each subject you plan on teaching. And then you have to student teach (pay to student teach) for half of a school year. Then once that is all done you have to take continuing education classes every few years as required by state law.

    But, in my state, anyone can teach computers. So if you got an Education degree specializing in journalism you could teach journ and computers.
  11. expendable

    expendable Well-Known Member

    I've been looking into this as well. From what I understand, in my state, I need to go take a couple of classes at the local c.c. and then I'll have a couple of years to finish up what I need.
  12. crimsonace

    crimsonace Active Member

    One rule of thumb ... unless you're in a state with a surplus of jobs, DO NOT get a master's before you get certification.

    You'll price yourself out of a job. Get your foot in the door, get a year or two in and then start going for your masters.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Share This Page