1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What does it mean when a paper provides affordable housing?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Matt Stephens, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Didn't know where else to put this.

I was talking to a former colleague who used to work at a paper in a tourist town and said that the publication provided him affordable housing.

This was a bit confusing to me because when I think of affordable housing, I think of apartments that cater to those who have median or lower incomes, and with the paper he worked for, I can only assume he was in the salary range to qualify for affordable housing anyway.

Is there a difference between making a standard journalist income and a paper providing affordable housing?

2. Turtle Wexler

Turtle Wexler Member

It likely means that the area has very little affordable housing, or there's a long waiting list to get into it.

I'd take this to mean they're going to pay peanuts but they've secured either a public affordable housing spot or made arrangements with a landlord for below-market rent.

Of course, this "affordable housing" may be renting a room off the garage of the city editor's house. Or acting as the caretaker to the publisher's summer cottage. Or any other undesirable situations.

This situation requires a lot of questions up front.

3. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Active Member

Most definitely.

My previous stop offered housing free of charge at the company apartment block. Even in China, you get what you pay for.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Or a very nice packing box, with hot and cold running vermin, under one of the finest overpasses in East Uppercrust.

5. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

What did your friend say about it?

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

If the IRS has a look it could be a taxable event.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Has it come to this? Newpaper wages are so bad they need to put folks up in a company town complete with a company store, I'll bet.

Oh, you need a can of beans for dinner? Better bat out that high school roundup then!

8. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Two words: communal newspapers

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

A van down by the river with WiFi.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I know a guy who refused annual raises because they would push him above the maximum income allowed to stay in the affordable housing program. He was a single guy and got a surprisingly roomy 500 sq ft apartment in the heart of downtown -- if he had made $1,000 more in income, he would have been paying $5,000 more to rent the same kind of place. Some of those affordable housing places are not bad at all; it has been the new wave in a lot of places, compel the developer to build affordable units as part of the land sale to do the profitable part of the project.

11. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

If I recall correctly, when USA Today was being launched, they bought a dorm in Virginia and provided free rooms for staff that were bring brought in from around the country.
    They nicknamed it: Stay-free mini pads.

And to show how long I've been in this, at my first job, perks for the editors they hired were interest-free home loans. The Sports Editor of this 45k suburban paper lived on the same block as celebrities and other upper crust personalities.

12. DK

DK Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted