1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What does AP need to make a style for?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Totally Krossed Out, Sep 21, 2006.

1. Randomly, "tee ball" often makes its way into stories at my paper. And every time, we have spirited discussions as to how that should be written. I personally think no hyphen is necessary and it should be tee since you hit it off a tee. One of my colleagues believes it should be T-ball like T-shirt. I've seen AP do it both ways. Somebody else in my office claims it's a trademank much like Kleenex and should be T-Ball. I don't believe that's true.

What is the norm? I've seen AP do it T-ball and tee ball.

Also, any similar problems others face?

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

My pick is T-ball; that seems to be the most common usage. I don't buy the trademark protection.

That's my/our style. No need to have a spirited discussion about it at your place. Somebody in authority set the style, and stick with it.

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Correct. If it's not listed in the stylebook, AP says to go to Webster's New World, which lists it as T-ball.

5. DyePack

DyePack New Member

TKO, I think you should start a Quixote-like quest to have a local style guide at your paper.

Those drives always made me laugh. Usually there'd already be a local guide, but no one would follow it. Then they'd claim it was outdated, even though most of it was still valid. Rather than simply update the bad portion, they'd do the whole thing from scratch.

Completely f-ing stupid.

6. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

Will (or weak-side linebacker). Is the W up, is everything up or is nothing up. This would be the same for SAM and MIKE.

7. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Your paper doesn't need AP's say so to create its policy. Hash it out and decide. Use paper, scissors, rock if you must, but if it's bothering you that much, create a policy, put it in writing then stick to it.

I'm actually more concerned AP is cranking out so many stories about T-/tee ball that someone notices a style difference. Are there that many wire-worthy stories about kids in the league?

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Why not just say weakside linebacker, strongside linebacker and middle linebacker? It's much clearer for your readers, not all of whom will know certain types of football jargon. I would only use Mike, Will and Sam in a quote, and I'd probably try to find a way to write around it even then. Maybe it would be OK in a later reference, if the positions come up a lot and it's less awkward, but I'd only use it if the meaning was clear.

Oh, and if you have to use them, I'd say first letter up, the rest down -- Mike, Will, Sam -- but I don't know if there's actually a style for that anywhere.

9. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

I actually told one of my writers the same thing, but he says, "that's not what they call it. They don't call it Mike, Will, Sam."

In a way, I don't think he understands football. In antoher way, I think he likes to argue. And it's football season, and I'm tired already.

10. slipshod

slipshod Member

Please, God, don't make me every write ``Will'' or ``Sam'' or ``Mike'' or ``Wilbert'' or whoever in a football story, unless it's someone's name.
    I'm writing for a ``reader'' not an assistant football coach.

sports jargon, I'm sick of it....

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

That's what I was trying to say, only I was attempting to be polite. I like your way better.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Call me T-Bone!

Draft saved Draft deleted