1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What does a celebrity's accounting balance sheet look like?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double Down, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

NY Magazine asked a high level Hollywood manager to share the costs a typical celebrity might have. Found it sort of fascinating. Although, to be honest, it would be much more fun to see what, say, Lil Wayne's balance sheet looks like.

http://ohnotheydidnt.livejournal.com/66142111.html

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The biggest thing I wonder about is how they go about raising their children with that lifestyle. (I frequently wonder the same thing about the President.) Michelle Williams noted at the Golden Globes that she's a "mother first." My wife and I are lucky to get to a movie once a month. These people seem to be on the town multiple times a week, or so it seems. How? Do they drop their kids off at school in the morning? Do they write a check to the day care/nanny just like I do? Does Michelle Williams read to her kids at night? Does she play trains with them for hours on end like I do?

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Hell no on the "Mom first" nonsense. That's what they say at award shows to feel better about themselves. I'd guess 60 to 70 percent of those kids are raised primarily by nannies.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I question the expenses. Seems many celebs find ways to get free stuff by trading their celebrity status for home renovation discounts, fitness training, maybe get a condo comped in exchange for allowing the building to let people know they live there, pal around with business titans who will loan out their yacht or island getaway.
    I've always thought the biggest expense would be personal assistants, publicists, security and career management.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

FWIW, not saying you're wrong, but I heard on TMZ (SO IT MUST BE TRUE) that Vanessa Bryant does not have a nanny.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Great. So their kids have no chance at sanity.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, I would tend to agree with that. I covered a coach whose wife had a nanny for each kid (three total) and she didn't work. That didn't prevent my paper from making her sound like she was mother of the century. I sure as hell wasn't going to correct them...

There are movie stars who don't work as much and usually try to avoid the limelight (Reese Witherspoon, Julia Roberts and Sandra Bullock come to mind...) and I wonder if they really are hands-on parents or if they pawn everything off on a nanny.

8. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

almost $16 million in income and $25,000 to charity?

9. This stuff doesn't surprise me much. What did surprise me was the financial info that was part of Zooey Deschanel's divorce filings. Pretty impressive, if you ask me. Would like to think I would approach my money the same way if I were a celebrity.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/new-girl-zooey-deschanel-divorce-ben-gibbard-279132

10. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

1 vs 99

Draft saved Draft deleted