1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you want for Christmas/Hannukah/Kwaanza/Festivus?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Nov 21, 2011.

1. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

On one hand, I'd like to get an iPad, but doubt that's going to happen. Really, I will just enjoy being with the family. It's been a rough year, and that means more to me than anything else I could get. Being with the family with a brand new iPad would be nicer, though. ;D

MrsEx and I say we're not going to get each other gifts each Christmas, but we always do.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

We had a year like that after our second kid was born and I was making the transition from journalist to recovering journalist. We said no gifts, but I got her a pair of pajamas and a necklace and she got me a leather jacket. It was funny, because without comparing notes or anything, we spent almost the exact same amount on each other.

3. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Agreed on the lack of gifts between spouses being sad. You don't have to be extravagant. The latest book by your favorite author. A pedicure with the paraffin, etc. A nice bottle of wine. Just something that says "I thought this would make you happy."

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The first year after I got married, I was in Philly on a road trip and my wife called me in an absolute panic.

"Someone stole your credit card. Right after you checked into the hotel, there is a $250 charge from some website Blue Nile..."

"Yeah... That's your Christmas present..."

"Oh..."

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Am I various? Or sundry?

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

We'll get back to it. Just hasn't been in the budget lately.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Someone to reup my XM subscription...

8. Dick Whitman

I don't know if it counts, but we spent a night at a nice hotel for our anniversary last year. Ate at a nice restaurant. Did some shopping.

So not an official gift, but it's not like we haven't celebrated in some way.

9. Turtle Wexler

Turtle Wexler Member

My brother and I have finally come to the "no gifts" conclusion. The last few years we were just trading Amazon gift cards back and forth, so it was pointless.

But we have agreed not to tell our parents that we're not exchanging gifts. They would get cranky because it's the "right" thing for siblings to do. Just like all good children call their parents on Sundays, etc.

10. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

A stack of books - - 10 to 12 will do - - that will keep my "reading habit" satisfied until about September 2012...

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I am hoping to get a pair of Levis or a cardigan sweater.

12. Dick Whitman

I promise it's not sad. Not at all.

The more I think about it, the more I understand that what it comes down to is that we aren't really the special occasion gift-giving types. We have to do it when it comes to people - particularly my mother - who keep score when it comes to gifts. But it's just not really our thing. Holidays and occasions aren't about gifts to me or my wife. So it's not sad at all. It's liberating. I could turn it around and say that I find it sad that people feel like they have to give gifts on holidays to show love.

Draft saved Draft deleted