1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you think of this Plaschke gimmick?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sirvaliantbrown, May 11, 2009.

1. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

A humor columnist is a fanboi?!? Now I've heard everything!

2. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I thought it was terrible. If a columnist needs a buzzer-beater to find something interesting to write about, maybe he's not giving his best effort often enough.

3. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Plaschke actually noted the point, himself, that I think really should have been explored, explained and expanded upon, right within in his "half-assed" column.

"The Lakers lost as if they didn't care that the series was now two games apiece. The Lakers lost as if they know they can turn it on this week and still survive."

This, I think, is often the root, and the truth of the Lakers' sometimes erratic, even seemingly inexplicable attitude and approach to things, and could make a fascinating topic and be sort of a psychological study if there were some depth of reporting and quotable support/challenges/debate, especially from a columnist -- somebody who could not only explain, support and report on, but also lambaste, or otherwise react to, the team as he so chooses.

Because, you know what? The Lakers probably don't care that the series is tied at two games a piece. I'm sure they're very confident that they can do exactly as Plaschke says -- just turn it on again (or off) as the mood strikes them.

And, they'd probably be right, too. As I said, they're fascinating.

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Many talented people have either been snapped up, or escaped while the getting was good. Others did not. You're right; there's not a place for everyone.

I sought clarification from bostonbred as to who the better wordsmiths are that he was referring to. I know there are a couple, especially from the Rocky Mountain News closing. And there might be an LA-area columnist or two who lost a gig recently (cough, Steve Dilbeck, cough) who are consistently better reads in my personal view.

I don't mind that this column took only half its usual space. It left more room for coverage of the Sol game!

5. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Why should I bother giving a thoughtful reply? All the threads on SportsJournalists.com are so whack, it's like, why is it worth it... Shrug. Slappy gave up trying to be creative with his posts years ago. Buckweaver lost his fastball... Even the young Ryan Sonner is just totally mailing it in. Maybe when the quality here picks up I'll have a better answer for you.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

You're dead wrong.

Grizzard wrote for his audience, and connected with them a lot better than Plaschke does for whatever audience his paper has left these days.

7. I thought this was excellent from Plaschke. It's why he's one of the best.

8. Bears00

Bears00 Member

Thought it was great. Well executed and funny.

9. topsheep

topsheep Member

It's not without its charms. I think it's fine.

Not sure why the dislikers dislike it.

10. Mmm, I like it, but I think most of the dislikers have made it clear why they dislike it.

11. jimnorden

jimnorden Member

i hate everything that isn't normal.

12. topsheep

topsheep Member

I know why they dislike it. I guess I find it comical that they'd find reason to rag on it.

Draft saved Draft deleted