1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you think of this lede?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spnited, Aug 14, 2008.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

I don't usually do this, but I think this lede is ridiculous, to say the least.

MINNEAPOLIS - Visiting hours are 2 TO 4 and 7 TO 9.

These are traditional times for wakes, but this isn't a public wake for the Yankees. Nevertheless, their supporters are urged to pay their respects privately today for the team that is looking toe-tag dead in the AL East and wild card races.

The pinstriped coffins have been delivered and when the final game at Yankee Stadium is played, it will be turned into a cemetery. The headstone will read: March 31-Aug. 13.

2. world-class bad

3. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

I always feel uncomfortable when someone else's work is posted for ridicule. Not saying that's what you are after, spnited, but you know that will be the end result.

Coming from a guy who has had several crummy ledes, and several more on the way, I know I wouldn't enjoy seeing mine on this board -- whether my name was attached to it or not.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I remember a paper writing a "Death March in Choketown" August headline a long time ago about the same team.

That team finished by winning 11 of its last 12 and making the playoffs. The next season, they won the World Series.

Six back with 40 left.

Lots of baseball left to play.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I more disagree with the knee-jerkness of it all.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It smells like death warmed over.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

The only thing I thought of when I read that lead was during the wake for Chris in the final season of the Sopranos. Silvio pointed out one old lady and said her nickname was "2-to-4, 7-to-9 ... she never misses a wake."

8. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I liked the idea, but the lede missed. No big deal - not every story anyone writes is going to win an APSE.

9. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Pretty bad. But then, it's only sportswriting.

10. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

The NY Post had a picture of Tom Coughlin on its back page during Christmas 2006, with a headline that read: "Yule Have To Go."

The Giants ended up making the playoffs that year, albeit an 8-8 year.
    Coughlin, of course, kept his job.
    Then the Giants won the Super Bowl.

Now, if I had to go through all the examples of the NY media counting the Yankees out too soon ...

11. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

On June 1, 2005, the Houston Chronicle put a picture of a tombstone on its sports cover. The Astros were, you know, dead.

Until they went to the World Series, that is.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's bad... But I've seen much, much worse.

Draft saved Draft deleted