1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you read to get better?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by What Deadline, Oct 29, 2009.

1. What Deadline

What Deadline New Member

We all have our favorite writers that we read daily/weekly to grow as professionals. But outside of newspapers and magazines, are there books and or authors that have helped your growth as a writer?

2. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

There's a reason my avatar is of Hunter S. Thompson. He even started out as a sports writer and continued to do a column for ESPN.com until very late in his life.

3. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

BASW, Hemingway, and a list of books I should have read in high school but didn't (most recently Heart of Darkness and The Red Badge of Courage).

4. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

David Halberstam, Jules Witcover and Jack Germond, Tom Wicker. Love booknotes.org.

5. John

John Well-Known Member

In this age of less space and writing tighter, I read billboards.

6. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

"On Writing Well" by William Zinsser (I think I got the name right).

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Playboy.

8. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

HST and PJ O'Rourke are the first who come to mind. Joan Didian, Mark Twain, John Steinbeck and JK Rowling are favorites. And I like to pick up Shel Silverstein and AA Milne for fun from time to time.

9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

When I'm feeling down and want to get better, I read books and articles about other professions my journalism skills can be useful in.

10. yonaker

yonaker New Member

I don't think "what" is as important as "how much." I can recall my writing improving at a time when I was reading constantly (when I had no social life to speak of). Police procedural novels, if I recall correctly. I even remember one day thinking to myself that I wasn't stumbling as much, that I was finding the word I was looking for a lot more quickly.

Of course, great sports writers provide us with great models and structures that we can learn from. But, again, the most important thing is simply to read and read and read whatever.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

"On Writing," by Stephen King. Incredible insight into the craft.

12. Jim_Carty

Jim_Carty Member

I took the LSAT.

;-)

Draft saved Draft deleted