1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you own (or do or eat/drink) that others would consider extravagant?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Nov 6, 2013.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Discount raw fish? That's not a risk I'm taking. Give it to me fresh and at full price, or not at all! :D

As for the housekeeper (who, coincidentally, is working right now), we've considered dropping her back to every other week, but every time she leaves, we're so thankful at how clean the house is, we haven't been able to pull the trigger on cutting back.

2. Wow ...
    After reading this .. I can't think of a single thing that I have or do that would qualify.
    I guess I'm uninteresting. Or cheap.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Two dogs and a kid leave the house pretty dirty week-to-week, especially with my commute, which eats up anywhere from 2-3 hours a day (roundtrip). Not in NYC, but the Northeast, which is typically a pretty high cost of living.

But, damn, if you want to send your old housekeeper out here, we'd take her!

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Ditto on housekeeper and lawn guy. Time is worth so much more to us than money with two young kids. And I never lift another bag of mulch in my life, all the better.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Not a thing. My car has almost 200,000 miles on it, my laptop is missing the "4" key, I rarely eat out, I don't have cable or satellite TV and I haven't traveled anywhere other than for work since 2001.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I don't know about y'all, but I'm pretty pumped to hear from BTExpress on this issue. I bet he's off jetsetting somewhere and won't see this thread for a week or two.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Goddamn, man.

8. HumanBeing

HumanBeing New Member

Stainless steel cookware.

9. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

A wood-fired Italian oven in my backyard and five HDTV's in my media room. Both were large investments but we haven't had a car payment in three years and don't need or anticipate anything new.

10. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I have half a dozen axes, one of them a Gransfors Bruks splitting axe worth just shy of 200 bucks.

And we only buy real maple syrup.

I guess I have a love/hate thing going with trees.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Do you proudly recycle your own toilet paper, too?

12. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

Brooks Brothers shirts, Wusthof-Trident knives and All-Clad pans.

Thank goodness I bought them when I did, because I cut my salary in half to move somewhere else four years ago. I probably couldn't afford BB shirts anymore, but I don't have to worry about it, because every one that made the trip is still in active service.

Draft saved Draft deleted