1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you mean, "Lift a Levolor?"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TigerVols, May 24, 2011.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

So the 20-something little miss TigerVols and I were cleaning the house the other day and when she got to dusting the blinds, I made a crack about "lift the Levolor."

She had no idea what I was talking about.

Which got me thinking...what other currently selling products (in other words, they are still in business) have shelved their iconic campaigns, and no longer advertise on TV?

Another I could think of off the top of my head was "Sometimes you feel like a nut...sometimes you don't."

Know any others?

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I'm with your daughter on that one. No clue what that means.

"Where's the Beef?" gets my vote.

3. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Is "Hey, Kool-Aid" still around?

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

WTH is a Levolor?

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I was asked to hand someone some Scott Towels this weekend. A little different, but I knew to get them paper towels.

6. 93Devil

It's a quality blind.

Isotoner could work here.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Tried to find one online, but to no avail...

...back in the day, Levolor ran a boatload of ads during prime time TV with the catchphrase, "Lift a Levolor." The conceit usually featured guests coming into homes (say, for a key cocktail party, or a plumber repairing a sink) and then slyly lifting the blind to see the "Levolor" logo, which was marketed as a status symbol.

FWIW, my home has several Levolor blinds and they are bullet-proof.

8. 93Devil

http://www.levolor.com/index.php?&docheck=yes

9. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Maybe a regional thing? I don't remember ever seeing one of those.

10. Mitch E.

Mitch E. Member

Didn't know Levelor at all until my daughter's broke (they were custom nade for the window) and I had look up the product and contact the company about it. Quality customer service. Blinds were fixed and hanging on the window within weeks.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Thanks to this thread, I finally understand the reference in the Veruca Salt song.

12. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Never heard of Levolor.

In response to the query in the original post, a lot of cigar/cigarette taglines come to mind. Virgina Slims 'You've Come A Long Way, Baby', Muriel Cigars' 'Hey Big Spender' are a couple.

Draft saved Draft deleted