1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you make?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MidwestSportsGuy, May 9, 2013.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

In the mid-1980s, I started at around $225 a week. Standard practice there was a review/raise after 3 months, a review/raise after 6 months, and a review/raise after a year (then yearly after that). Was there about two years and saw my salary increase to a whopping $257.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Ditto on the last seven words here, which I inadvertently left out.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'd tell you but then someone would tell my wife.

I think I made more delivering the Cleveland Press than some on here. What a travesty.

4. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

More than I ever made in journalism, and I spent more than a decade with one of the destination newspaper companies.

5. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

First full-time gig starting in 1973 at $120 a week ($6k a year).
    When I got out in 2008, was making $66k a year.

Side question on this: Talked to a much younger former colleague who has a job that is mostly digital/video production. He's making $34k, his employer considers his $8k benefits package to be part of the "compensation package" so in the employer's mind he's making $42 k. BULLSHIT.

This is the stuff in our current world that pisses me off. Your salary is what you get paid; your benefits are what your company should provide to keep you healthy. To consider benefits part of your paycheck ain't right.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yes and no.

When discussing salary, almost all of us would use the dollar figure of our actual pay.

But, when companies budget for a position, they have to account for what a person actually costs.

And, when any of us look for a new job, we certainly do take the benefits into account. We compare them, and understand that we need to make more money if the benefits package is not as generous, or we might be willing to give up a little in salary in return for a good benefits package.

7. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

"Compensation package" includes benefits. "Salary" does not.

In the employer's mind, he or she is right to believe the employee is costing the company $42k, because he is. It not correct to refer to that additional $8k as "salary," but it most certainly is "compensation."

Benefits are not birthrights.

8. Yep..

When you got kids - and kids with braces, glasses, medical issues - benefits are an important part of the package.

9. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

What's the general range for a preps reporter, a college beat writer and a pro writer?

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It varies by market and paper size, but in general, I'd say:

Preps: $25K-$35K
    College: $40K-$70K
    Pro: $60K-$90K

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

But it goes far beyond health insurance.

I have $350,000+ in my 401(k) and a modest $750/month coming to me in a pension in a few years as part of my Tribune Company benefits.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Knock on wood.

Draft saved Draft deleted