1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you make?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MidwestSportsGuy, May 9, 2013.

1. Started in sports close to 15 years ago making $19,500 at a daily.
    Left to be ASE (at another daily) for $25,500 about three years later. Left sports (still at same paper) about eight years ago and I make less $31,000 a year.

2. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I was making 12.50 an hour and was the highest paid reporter at my paper until I was fired at the end of January.
    I've been looking for jobs outside the biz and the pay they're offering is amazing in comparison. If I made 50 K a year, I wouldn't know what to do with all that money except buy hookers and booze.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Christ, Rhody. That is gross. Good luck in your search.

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I started at $12K and wound up at $63K.
    Then the Turk came knocking at the door.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

For hookers and booze?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Of course!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  7. Drip

Drip Active Member

And you answered?

8. The problem is getting those jobs.

9. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

My first job out of college (late '70s), I made $295 a week. I did such a fabulous job that I was given a raise after only three months there — an additional $5 a week.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I started at $20,800 ($10/hr.) in 1999, and left at about $38,000 in 2008.

11. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Started at $24K in 2003, maxed out at $45K, now out of the business, thank God.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

My newspaper salary went from $34K my first full year (1996) to $58K during my last year (2008). I also had a radio show my last three years where I made an additional $12K-$15K.

I make basically the same now as I did my last year in the business, but I work 40 hours a week, have never worked a weekend day or a holiday and when I leave for the day, I don't think about work for a second until the next work day starts.

Draft saved Draft deleted