1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you make?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MidwestSportsGuy, May 9, 2013.

1. Obviously a touchy subject, but I'm really curious as to what people make in this business. Reporter, editor, designer, etc. Just want to gauge what the pay scale is. Paper circ. would be helpful.

2. silvercharm

silvercharm Member

3. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Brownies.

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

A damn mess. But then I clean it up.

(No, most of us aren't going to answer a question like that. I'm outed enough that I ain't going there.)

That said, most of us would agree that our lives would be infinitely better "if we only made $10,000 more."

5. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

DOOTY!
    (making some now in fact)

6. Look, I get it ... I'm naive. I was curious, is all. If it's a horrendous question, just kill the thread.

7. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Joking aside, you'd be better off with a poll.

8. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

F*ck it. I'll jump in.
    When I started in sports at a weekly chain of small newspapers in Rhode Island, I made $23K. I managed to get that bumped up to $26K over the course of four years in the position before moving to take a news editor position for $31K per year.
    I left said newspaper to take an online gig in Rhode Island's capital city and was making $40K per year but it was an independent contractor position so I'll have to pay more in taxes at the end of the year.

9. BillySixty

BillySixty Member

Entry-level preps reporter in early to mid 2000s: 27K
    Sports editor 10K circ paper mid 2000: 33K
    Sports editor 25K circ paper starting late 2000: 40K

All in the same region, all in similar-sized towns.

I will say this: Knowing how to diversify (write, design, web) led to better-paying jobs, and also saved me from staff cuts.

10. Interesting, I was writing at an 18K paper for about 28K. Became the SE and the salary was about 34K.

11. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

"special" brownies?

12. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I'll give. What I make now is public record, so what I used to shouldn't matter.
    I worked at a 16K daily for 19 years and was assistant sports editor. I think the most I ever made was $28K (50-55 hours a week). I made more in year 15 than I did 19 because of pay cuts.
    I got out, went back to school, and the starting salary for a first year teacher with a masters is $35,386+coaching supplement.

Draft saved Draft deleted