1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you look for in a movie?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by novelist_wannabe, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm impressed that anyone is loyal to M. Night.

I loved the Sixth Sense and Unbreakable and thought Signs was OK, but he's on one hell of a downswing lately...

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Directors: Nolan, Paul Thomas Anderson, Fincher, Coen Brothers
    Writers: Tony Gilroy, Mamet, Brian Helgeland.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I loved 'Unbreakable,' and 'The Sixth Sense' and 'Signs' were very good.
    I respect 'The Village,' 'Lady in the Water,' 'The Happening' and 'Devil' because, in each case, he has attempted something interesting and different. None of them, ultimately, worked.

4. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I'm strange in that I only really love films that disorient me. I don't want my views and beliefs to be reassured by a movie. I want to be little shaken as I walk out of theater. Kubrick, Lynch, the Coens, they make movies that make me shudder. I love that.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't think I have unrealistic expectations with movies... I want to laugh, I want to think, I want to have fun and every now and then, I want to say, "Wow..."

That doesn't happen nearly enough anymore...

6. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

I agree with a lot of this, especially the bit about "Melancholia." I'd throw "Take Shelter" in there, too. Like music, my most basic requirement for a movie is to make me feel something, not pass straight through me like cotton candy with a Mountain Dew chaser. Joy, despair, disgust, laughter — just move me in some way.

On the point of small vs. grandiose: I'm more willing to forgive a movie that tries to do something great and falls short than one that's a percentage play designed to do little more than make back its investment. Movie studios will do what they must to stay in business, of course, but who grows up and goes to film school wanting to make the sequel to "Scooby Doo?" Dare to be great.

7. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

I will watch any Pixar movie.

I usually want something light and happy. I have too much doom and gloom in real life.

But I rarely have time to watch a movie.

8. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

Good luck with that one.

9. turski7

turski7 Member

Agree with your musical assessment. So many times a bad soundtrack/score and just ruin a film.
    I thought Eddie Vedder's soundtrack in "Into the Wild" was a major influence on why I liked the movie so much. I read the book, but the music lifted the atmosphere of the movie.
    Also, great storytelling. It's hard nowadays, but a movie like "The Hurt Locker" is a prime example. No political angle, just a fantastic story.

Draft saved Draft deleted