1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you listen to when you're writing?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Matt L., Feb 23, 2008.

1. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I'm lame, but I listen to one of the Lord of the Rings soundtracks. It helps me pace myself cause I know how much time I have left by where I am in the music.

2. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

I listen to my Inner Muse. If he's not available, Gregorian chants.

3. pallister

pallister Guest

I haven't been a regular writer since before it became fashionable to listen to music while writing (pre-iPod, iTunes, etc.). I do, however, write a lot at home, and I prefer to write in complete silence. No music. No TV.

4. Birddog

Birddog Guest

Mozart.

5. Jones

Jones Active Member

I can't write unless I'm listening to music. I usually listen to something reflective of the mood of the piece I'm working on -- at least the rhythm of it. I figure if I'm listening to someone striking the right notes, I have a better chance of hitting them myself.

This last story, I listened to these ten songs* on repeat:

1. Adagio for Strings, from the Platoon soundtrack
    2. For the Widows in Paradise, Sufjan Stevens
    3. B.Y.O.B., System of a Down
    4. Phantom Limb, The Shins
    5. Hoppipolla, Sigur Ros
    6. The Funeral, Band of Horses
    7. The Birth and Death of the Day, Explosions in the Sky
    8. Midnight Coward, Stars
    9. I'm Goin' Down, Bruce Springsteen
    10. Trapeze Swinger, Iron & Wine

*Do not listen to these songs in this order if you are feeling in any way depressed or suicidal. They will not help.

6. jambalaya

jambalaya Member

My new fave: Itunes radio lists a station called groovera.com. I like their stations "Jet City Lounge" or "Ambient Popsicle." Very relaxing. Great for writing or smoking doobies! Or both!

7. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Put my iPod on random and start writing.

8. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I figured you'd be trying to figure out why you're losing so bad in the Syndicate. :D

9. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

I have a dedicated iPod mix, which features some Patrick Park, Jacob Golden, Arcade Fire and Bruce Springsteen, amongst others. Key is light, and a little folksy.

10. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

11. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

When I was doing NaNoWriMo in November, I used my own channel on Pandora heavily. It was built on the music of (and music inspired by): New Order, Pixies, Midnight Oil, Patti Smith, Lone Justice, Velvet Underground, Catherine Wheel, Arcade Fire, Chameleons UK and the Lyres.
    I also get ethereal sometimes with Love Spirals Downwards, My Bloody Valentine, Lush and shoegazer stuff.

12. I thought it was spelled with a G?

Draft saved Draft deleted