1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you listen to when you're writing?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Matt L., Feb 23, 2008.

1. Matt L.

Matt L. Member

Do you writers out there listen to any music when you write an article or when you're at work?

2. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

I put my iTunes on random like usual and just write. The words flow seamlessly and I don't think it matters to which kind of music I listen. Tonight, I listened to Rick Ross and wrote a feature of which I was proud. The other night, I wrote to the Rolling Stones during a gamer.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I usually let my iTunes go to random, though I tend to play Stevie Nicks more often than not whenever I can.

4. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Cannibal Corpse. It soothes me.

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I used to be able to only write to Pink Floyd, but now as long as the music is tuning everything else out it doesn't matter. Though, I would also point out that you should be able to learn to write with no music playing at all. Then when you are covering a doubleheader in a loud ass gym and you have to write the first gamer while the second game is going on, plus keep stats all while the bookkeeper is asking you who made the last shot, you will be able to write.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Really? I find only GG Allin's music relaxes me.

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I hear the nagging voice in the back of my mind telling me that I'm a poser fraud who's going to write a sucky story, get blacklisted by the paper for which I'm stringing, get outed as a mouth-breathing loser who can't spell his name without bringing down the IQ of his readers by 20 points, and die alone without ever making anyone's life even remotely better for my having lived.

But when my headphones are working, I usually listen to the Starbucks channel on XM.

9. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Usually when I'm through writing my swill, I roll around in naked glass, in honor of GG.

This isn't him rolling in broken glass, but something much more entertaining. SFW.

10. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Very good question. I actually write best when I'm listening to house/dance/trance music. Sounds strange, but it's so hypnotic that I can get into a rhythm.

11. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

I'll listen to music while doing agate or putting stories to web, but while writing or editing, no music for me.
    Not sure why, but I can tune out a noisy newsroom or gym but I can't listen to music and write.

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

As with any other facet of my life, I can listen to music - of many varieties depending on what I have handy and what fits my mood. On some nights, it's James Taylor or maybe Chuck Mangione. On others, it could be Van Halen or Rush or Genesis or Chicago or Stevie Wonder. It kinda fits given that I can be a music junkie.

Draft saved Draft deleted