1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you like in the new TV shows?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by jr/shotglass, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

These days the ratings are a complete joke. If you DVR a show, I think you have to watch it during a certain time period for it to count for Nielsen. There are so many shows that I watch a week (or longer) after they were on, but as far as the ratings are concerned, it was never watched. I think any show that is DVRd should count.

They need to re-vamp the system so that shows that are DVR'd and watched later count and iTunes downloads count, and if the show was watched online, that should count.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The originally-announced optimist's Smash plan was to keep grinding out "shows", hopefully (in their addled minds) for eventual transfer to Broadway.

3. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I did a Neilson diary a couple weeks ago. They account for DVR now.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

So everything you DVR counts? If that's the case, it's a step in the right direction. I thought everything had to be watched within 48-72 hours to count.

5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I guess I don't know for sure how they count it, but I filled out what I was watching at a specific time and if it was recorded there was another column for when and what channel it originally aired. I rewatched a lot of Community and Parks and Rec that week. :)

6. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I did one of those a few years ago, before I had DVR and worked nights. Fairly sure they regretted asking my opinion, since I watched a lot of TruTV (they air a lot of true crime-forensics type shows early in the morning) at 4 a.m. Oh well, I got cash out of the deal. ;D

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Damn, I like "Franklin & Bash." I forgot how much I liked it.

Lightweight, sure. But likeable. Feel-good vibe. I'm going to look forward to Tuesday nights this summer.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

DAMMIT. I forgot to add that to my DVR.

10. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

IJAG, in case you didn't see it on my facebook page, the first webisodes of "Burning Love" are up on Yahoo's site. Ken Marino is awesome, as you'd expect.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Are you watching the commercials when you DVR? If not, why should that count toward the ratings, whose primary purpose are to help set ad rates?

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I love you. Will watch tonight.

Also, just because I can't get enough of it:

Draft saved Draft deleted