1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you like in the new TV shows?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by jr/shotglass, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

Yeah, I was surprised Zooey D. was in a sitcom at this stage of her career.

"Whitney" is getting terrible buzz. I've never seen her standup but the guy who plays her boyfriend is funny.

I too can not stand Will Arnett. Guy is the same boorish character in literally everything I have seen him in.

The grandparents on "Raising Hope" make the show. The baby's father is very vanilla.

I tried hard to get into Mad Men but found too many of the characters/actors unlikeable. Though, John Slattery is a really good actor (and hilarious on 30 Rock).

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

"Whitney" might not be a hit but Whitney herself is -- she's starring in one show, AND she's the creator of 2 Broke Girls.

3. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

So very much this.

And Mad Men is tremendously overrated.

I watched Whitney do ten minutes of standup, she was funny but her bending over for the punchline of every joke really bothered me.

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Felt exactly the same way. And he shocked me in "Up All Night." He came across much better.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I love Will Arnett and I was disappointed by Up All Night...

Free Agents sucked...

6. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Disappointed in Up All Night. Maya Rudolf was a 100x more annoying than Arnett.

7. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

Though I do like Mad Men, I have a bad feeling about Pan Am and Playboy Club. I think the best of the Mad Men clones will end up being BBC's The Hour, but they have to ditch the spy storyline and stick with the TV news aspect

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I love The Hour, but need to rewind about 30 times an episode to figure out what they are saying.

9. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

I just watched the New Girl pilot on Hulu and it was pretty entertaining. The supporting cast is a bit weak, but Zooey Deschanel was good.

Her character is very Liz Lemon (attractive, bespectacled brunette who is unsure of herself) which isn't surprising as some 30 Rock writers are part of the creative team. Always Sunny fans will recognize a familiar face in the pilot.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Watched that tonight during a rain delay. I thought it was worse than the commercials made it look, which is saying something.

11. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Since I have never seen Titanic, Mad Men OR The Wire... hey, how about the last season of Chuck?!

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Never seen Chuck. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted