1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you like in the new TV shows?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by jr/shotglass, Sep 13, 2011.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Everything I've seen predicts 2 Broke Grls to be one of the breakout hits of the season. Which, I must admit, surprised me.

Perhaps a modern-day Alice?

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Arnett tries too hard, but maybe he can do dialed down.

David Faustino notwithstanding, pretty good casting job on Married with Children -- Sagal, Applegate and O'Neill all have done very good TV work since they left the world of Bundy.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Dammit, I loved David Faustino.

4. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

I feel the same. Netflix and Hulu and torrents have changed TV shows for me, not to mention the biggest thing: DVR. I never, ever watch shows at their normal times because I usually am doing something else, like working nights, or would just rather make space on a Saturday night to catch up.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I can't remember the last time I started watching something from the outset. "Parks and Recreation" maybe? "Joey"? I do plan on watching "Up All Night" tonight, though, because I like the people in it.

I'm like you guys - I typically wait until a show is getting widespread acclaim and sounds like a keeper before diving in.

6. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Have you seen Star-ving?

I think there are 12 episodes or something of the sort. All major players in Married provide cameos. It's really funny.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I've noticed many cable TV shows now require you to input your TV service provider to watch on the web. Seems kind of odd. It's not like they aren't airing ads on the web. Throw in how meager some shows are with their Hulu offerings and it seems like content providers are going to stifle web TV growth before it really takes off.

8. jr/shotglass

Well, I was wrong on one already.

I gotta admit, I really liked the pilot for "Up All Night."

Christina Applegate and Maya Rudolph (as an Oprah clone who is Applegate's boss) were both great. Will Arnett, to my absolute shock, was on the verge of being likeable. And the vibe of the show was very cool.

Go figure.

On the other hand, run -- do not walk, run -- from the Hank Azaria thing. Painful to view.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

That makes me sad. I heart Azaria.

10. jr/shotglass

I've always liked him, too. But they're trying to make him into a metrosexual male. He cries a lot.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Azaria is great at being over the top (Simpsons, Birdcage). When he has to dial it down, he's tough to watch.

I haven't watched Free Agents, but I love Natasha Leggero, so that was my only reason to watch...

I thought Up All Night was OK, but everything I've read said the show is actually a lot better than the pilot. Apparently, the Maya Rudolph role has been expanded considerably and they had to completely re-shoot portions of the pilot to reflect that.

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

By December, American Horror Story will be the show everyone will be talking about...

http://vod.fxnetworks.com/watch/ahs

Draft saved Draft deleted