1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you like in the new TV shows?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by jr/shotglass, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm surprised to see the hate for Will Arnett.

2. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I can never understand how anyone can watch the first scene of The Wire and not get hooked. The Snot Boogie story and "Got's to, man. This America" had me.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

He made up his mind going in that he wasn't going to like it.

He's that guy.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I wanted to like The Wire, and I did like it on a very superficial level. But I didn't "get it." And that's OK.

As for Mad Men, and by extension Pan Am ... outside of Gone With the Wind, I just don't dig on period pieces.

5. Mizzougrad96

I had the same thing on The Wire. I watched a couple and just couldn't get into it.

Mad Men is very, very good, I just don't think it's worthy of some of the praise it gets.

I'd have no interest in Pan Am if it didn't involve Christina Ricci in that outfit. :D

6. imjustagirl

You mean ol' sixhead?

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I very well may be in the minority on that, mizzou. He just grates on me to an irrational extent.

8. imjustagirl

I really think Arnett is one of those guys you either get, or you don't. I don't LOVE him, but he doesn't bug me as much as he does others. I think you have to buy into the schtick, or it grates on you.

I understand the division on here about him.

9. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I've never seen Titanic, but I'm more proud of having never heard that shitty Celine Dion song all the way through. I had to leave prom my sophomore year to keep that streak alive.

10. Mizzougrad96

She has a head? :D

11. Whitney will be the first cancelled. You can't ramrod funny down someone's throat, NBC. I like Maria Bello as an actress, so I'm hoping Prime Suspect is more hit than miss in the Peacock's latest attempt to Americanize a BBC classic.

Terra Nova seems a couple of years too late for anyone to care. Can't really see many getting into Avatar meets Jurassic Park.

12. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Whitney Cummings can be funny in a standup setting, but I don't see how she can make a transition into being an actress. She's too intense and too blunt. This upcoming cancellation might be good for her.

Prime Suspect's pilot got some horrible reviews. Maria Bello is a very good actress, but something tells me she belongs on an HBO/FX/Showtime vehicle. I hope she succeeds though.

Kat Dennings was incredible in that small indie Defendor with Woody Harrelson. I hope she does well in 2 Broke Girls, but I think she belongs on a cable series or in film. That said, 2 Broke Girls looks like it might be decent for what it is. Really trying to remember the last hit network sitcom that featured regular working stiffs. Rosanne?

Pam Am looks interesting as does Playboy Club. Lots of sex appeal there. Primetime TV could use a dose of that.

Up All Night might be worth a try, but I think Christina Applegate works much better in the traditional sitcom format. Will Arnet can bring the funny, but usually not great ratings.

Draft saved Draft deleted