1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you like in the new TV shows?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by jr/shotglass, Sep 13, 2011.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

(And if you don't like TV today, please don't reply.)

A couple of the new shows catch my interest.

I like the "Pan Am" concept. Of course, I love "Mad Men" too. Sure that has something to do with it.

"How To Be A Gentleman" (Thursday night, CBS) is promising. I'm a big Dave Foley fan.

Emily Van Camp's vehicle, "Revenge." I believe she's a superstar in the making. Loved her in "Brothers and Sisters," even if that show's storylines lost me.

And a lot of critics apparently are disagreeing, but I hope "Whitney" is good. I think Whitney Cummings is hot very funny.

Tell me when they're over: "Last Man Standing" with Tim Allen; anything with Will Arnett; "Charlie's Angels".

Any shows you all are looking forward to?

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Christina Ricci looks insanely hot in the Pan Am stewardess outfit.

Amber Heard doesn't look too bad in the Playboy Club either.

I have high hopes for Up All Night and Free Agents.

Whitney looks bad. Two Broke Girls looks bad. Person of Interest looks good. Prime Suspect looks great.

I'm sure Terra Nova will be good, but I doubt I'll watch...

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Saw a commercial for Ringer, Sarah Michelle Gellar's new show. Looks interesting.

4. jr/shotglass

Two Broke Girls ... can it really lose in an 8:30 Monday CBS time slot?

5. Mizzougrad96

Probably not. It looks awful though...

6. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

I'm thinking "PanAm", "How To Be A Gentleman" and "Playboy Club" look like good concepts. Will they do them right?

I see "Charlie's Angels" going in the tank after six weeks. Reimagning seems to work for the movies but not so much in television (Prime Example: "Route 66"; Apparent Exception: "Hawaii Five-O"). I give "Ringer" a year only because it's Sarah Michelle Gellar in the lead role. Anyone else, 13 weeks.

"Terra Nova" is one of those shows that I can see Fox cancelling in six weeks because that network isn't known for its patience (Which makes the fact that "Fringe" is still on the air somewhat awesome). If critics like it but the audience doesn't flock to it or if the audience drops dramatically after three or four episodes, I see Fox making the panic cancel.

I don't know about "2 Broke Girls." It will probably succeed only because of its time slot. It doesn't look like either character, but especially the brunette, is likeable based on the promos.

7. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

Zooey Deschanel is one of my favorite actresses (do avoid Your Highness) so I will probably check out her show.

8. jr/shotglass

Am I correct in thinking that Zooey is going to play somebody much like Katy Perry's most recent video, a nerd with the possibility of turning hot? I could get into that ...

9. jr/shotglass

10. Mizzougrad96

I like her a lot too... The show looks awful though... Will give it a shot.

I think Playboy Club will be among the first canceled. Just a prediction.

Grimm might be gone within a month as well...

11. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

I heard some critic today on the radio who said Free Agents and Charlie's Angels will fight to be the first cancelled. Said CA might last longer due to the history of the name.

Raved about the 2 Broke Girls and Applegate's show. Said Pan Am was decent but not great, Tim Allen is stuck in a time warp. He said Person of Interest is very good but Lost fans shouldn't think watch if they are looking for supernatural stuff. He said Prime Suspect was good but each case will wrap up weekly unlike the UK version of which it is based.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Pan Am has the best pedigree - Jack Orman and Thomas Schlamme.

Prime Suspect looks like it should be good - but when I found out they are filming a NY set show mostly in LA, I have my doubts.

Pretty much sold on Person of Interest.

Draft saved Draft deleted