1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

what do you know about st. louis?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Tom Petty, Aug 1, 2007.

1. joe

joe Active Member

Take a dehumidifier. Outside of Texas, it's the most humid city in the contiguous 48. Old Busch (Busch II) was brutal, but the new one's a little better.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Cool. Was about to say the same thing. Being at the top of the Arch is a little anticlimactic -- although it's a cool ride and a cool view, you're looking down on St. Louis, which isn't quite the same as looking down on NYC or Vegas (or the top of sportschick's head when in Vegas -- dead to ... yeah, yeah. 8))

The museum, however, was well worth the trip to the Arch. Excellent suggestion, Del.

3. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

The City Museum's a great place to go nuts for an afternoon/night. Bring some play clothes for everyone and crawl around the tunnels. Go down the slides if you're adventurous. I'm not a big StL fan, but that place is cool.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I know this much -- don't go to East St. Louis.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

The museum is cool, but they need to get some new dead deer for their, uh, deer exhibit. The deer they have in there are gross, looks like they are originals ... stuffed when LBJ was president. They have rigor mortis. Seriously. They have holes in them, it's kind of nasty.

Charlie Gitto's is popular, but I was a bit underwhelmed when I went in February, an experience partially saved by the fact that there's an autographed Lynn Dickey Green Bay Packers photo on the wall.

Can't believe I missed O'Connell's. Get a corned beef sandwich, you won't be sorry.

I always take the kids to Drewes, but it sucks compared to Milwaukee's custard joints (inside argument I had with a buddy on that).

One thing ... don't eat the hot dogs at Busch Stadium. I had one Sunday and nearly killed Albert Pujols at first base when I just barely avoided upchucking it at Gatling gun speed. They are the worst I've ever had at a ballpark, and that includes the immensely bad Metrodome fare.

6. Bubbler

Then why do people rave about Dodger dogs? Every time Dodger Stadium gets brought up, everyone says you have to have a Dodger dog.

Can you get chorizo at Dodger Stadium? I had a chorizo at Miller Park this year. Yummy.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

was looking for a place within walking distance of busch. any suggestions?

8. Bubbler

Broadway Oyster Bar is two blocks south of Busch on Broadway.

9. What about Brooklyn? ;D

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'm just going to parse the third sentence and take from it only "twice as big" and "like BYH."

Thanks for the compliment, Bucky!!!!

11. Don't know if Al Hrabosky's serves food, but it's a pretty cool place to go after a game. It's just south of the ballpark.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

You're always the best at reading between the lines. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted