1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

what do you know about st. louis?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Tom Petty, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

taking the wife and the heartbreakers to st. louis next week. we'll do a cardinals game, the arch and whatnot, but does anyone have any other suggestions?

any ideas on quality places to eat with a coupla minors in tow?

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Not really a place to sit and eat, but make sure you and the family sample Imo's Pizza. St. Louis delicacy.

3. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

Lots of fun things for kids to do and many of them are free. The zoo is excellent and its free.
    There's also the Science Center, Grants Farm and the St. Louis Children's Museum. Both the Science Center and the Children's Museum are very hands on with lots of things for kids to do.

The Italian food in the old Italian neighborhoods up on The Hill is outstanding. St. Louis might be in the Midwest but it has a lot of old-world ethnic appeal with many old traditional neighborhoods where you can get Italian, German and other ethnic foods.

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Some great restaurants in Soulard, as well.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

thanks for the info so far.

everybody else, please feel free to pile on.

6. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

Here's one key tip: Order your Gateway Arch tickets online before leaving. Otherwise, there's a wait of several hours, if you can get onto it at all.

Forest Park is tremendous with kids. The St. Louis Zoo there is free and asks only for donations. Huge park to the west of downtown. There's also a Science museum, although we've never been in it - looks nice, though.

A lot of quality restaurants in The Hill neighborhood for outstanding Italian.

7. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

Ditto about the Science Center. That was the highlight of our trip last year for my daughter.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Echo The Hill for Italian food. A must-do.

For a diversion around game time, the National Bowling Hall of Fame is right across from the stadium, and is worth killing an hour in.

And once the lil' heartbreakers are in bed, it's down to the landing for cocktails and gambling if you're so inclined.

Make sure you try a frozen custard (I forget the place, someone else will give you the name, but they're all over) and toasted ravioli, two things you really can't get anywhere else.

9. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

We ate at a joint called Fritz's near SLU. They brew their own root beer and wasn't too expensive.

The Anheuser-Busch brewery was neat too. My girls (8 then and 4) liked it, and of course, you get two free brews at the end.

I found St. Louis a tough city to get around. Signs don't really exist to tell you where stuff is. Good luck!

10. Bill Horton

Frozen custard?
    How could I forget the frozen custard at Ted Drewes?
    You absolutely have to go to Ted Drewes.
    In addition to the other things on the list I offered.

11. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Doubt it's the same, but may be...but Fritz's Frozen Custard in Florissant is the best thing about that whole area. Fuckabuncha Ted Drewe's.

The zoo is a great suggestion, as well.

12. Bill Horton

Nice. Real nice.

Draft saved Draft deleted