1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you keep?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by wickedwritah, May 15, 2007.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

My parents are getting ready to move from their home of nearly 15 years and settle into a new apartment complex. That means that I finally have to go through all my stuff stored there, see what is worth keeping and what's not worth keeping, stuff that's been piled in boxes and hidden in the back of closets for years.

I came across a few awards and trophies from my way younger days, my cap and gown from high school, etc. Logic says it's time to part with most of it, it was nice while it lasted, etc. -- yet my parents (pack rats to the max) seem to think that I'm irrational and that my guilty Catholic ass eventually will regret it.

What's legit to keep and what's legit to toss?

2. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

As far as work stuff goes, I have every Sports section in which one of my stories has appeared. After 15 years, that's a lot of sections. Takes up a good portion of my basement. Just too lazy to cut them out. I also have every credential/press pass for every event I've ever covered, from a state high school cross country meet to the Super Bowl. Figure it'll make a cool display someday.

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I have my medical and service records from a decade of Navy service, patches I've been collecting since I was a tot, Hot Wheels cars, Iron Man comic books, sports stories I've written (and liked) and pages I've designed (and liked), and quite a bit of stuff from my Hall of Fame whirlwind tour from 1999.

Oh, and the manuals from just about every computer game I've ever owned.

4. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Some things that take up space, like those old kiddie trophies, you can take a few pictures of for the memories and get rid off.

I'm in the process of scanning important documents (like medical-related paperwork) and shredding the stuff I really don't need (like receipts from office visits). If I ever need it to prove anything (like medical deductions on taxes) I've at least got an electronic copy of it, but it's not taking up space, I don't have to move it and it's not creating a fire hazard like Norman's basement. :)

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Save your first trophy because it was your first.

6. rallen13

rallen13 Member

Books! Books! Books! Stamps, Classics Illustrated comics. All the rest of the junk belongs to my wife and there is no way in hell she will ever part with any of it.

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I have a shotglass collection (of about 300 glasses) that Mrs. tbf says is hitting ebay or the trash before we move in December.

8. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Before you do, get 50 of your closest friends, line up the shotglasses, and go at it!

9. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

I'd be careful about what you toss.

My brother recently sent me a box of stuff he found in the attic of the house we grew up in (he bought it and lives there now) and it was a kick seeing such boilerplate stuff as the diploma-looking thing commemorating my selfless service as an altar boy.

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

The books better be coming to me when you kick it!

11. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

I have every newspaper (not just sports section) in which one of my articles appeared. It's only eight years, but it takes up a shitload of space. And I'm not tossing them. I also have all my credentials.

I keep everything.

I have a program from every single sporting event I attended as a fan. And every ticket stub, too.

We have a two bedroom apartment, and the second room has a twin bed and all my shit in it. The better half can't wait to buy a house so I can have the basement all to myself!

12. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

So you have Shotty stashed in your basement?

Draft saved Draft deleted